Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2011 18:00

Please help, Fan issue M17x R3

I have had my M17x for about 7 months, everything has been working fine except recently while playing Skyrim on the ultra settings, it crashed several times due to overheating. I have played many games on Ultra settings and have never run into an overheating issue. Then yesterday while on the internet, I noticed  that only one of my fans seems to be working, when i put my hand behind my monitor only the left fan makes a noise and blows air the other has heat radiating from it, but it doesnt make a noise or blow any air out. Is there something wrong or is this normal? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Some additional information I noticed if it matters, is on the CPU monitor gadget I have installed on my desktop showed only Core 3 usage would fluctuate from 0% to 50-80% every 15 seconds even though I wasn't doing anything on my laptop, when the usage would go up my only left fan  would start blowing. 

Thanks Again for any help

1 Message

December 1st, 2011 16:00

I have this exact same problem...  I've had my M17x for about 4 months now, and had the GPU overheat only once so far(luckily).  But not for lack of trying...  I was able to  check the temps and shut down before the system actually overheated the last couple times.  The GPU temps ranged from 87°c - 108°c.  Far from the usual 62°c (under load).  From what I've noticed, it only happens after waking the system up from a sleep/suspended state.  Restarting the system should start the fan again (works for me).  If yours is the same, the issue can be avoided simply by ceasing to use the sleep function.  Kinda sucks, but its better than having your GPU burn out.

Sooo... on to the helpful details for the techies to use:

GPU:                                                                AMD Radeon HD 6870M 1GB

BIOS Version:                                                012.020.000.048

Driver Packaging Version:                         8.851.2-110609a-120503C-Dell

Catalyst Control Center Version:               2011.0609.2331.40394

Alienware Command Center Version:     2.6.2.0

I have no idea if any of that was worth finding, but oh well... It's there now.

Hope I helped you a little Dstein64, and thanks in advance to any one who helps solve this problem permanently.

Sincerely,  Đᵉᵃᵈᴵᵞ­­­ǂᴳᵉᵏᵏϴ

9 Posts

December 1st, 2011 17:00

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I am going to double check make sure my driver and bios versions. If the problem persists I will probably call Dell

No Events found!