Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2014 12:00

Poor form Alienware

You know guys, I've been a big fan and promoter of alienware because, for the longest time, my alienware could run pretty much anything.  My M17x R2 with the dual 4870s was a beast.

Now that I wanted to play any of the directx11 games, no can do.

So I shipped off my R2 to the folks at Eurocomm to upgrade the gpus to something more modern and despite their best efforts, even their expert people couldn't get any newer video cards to perform according to benchmarks with any newer card.  They tried the 680m, the 780m, the HD8970m, the HD7970m and while it would boot, they couldn't get the cards to perform.  They went through several bios versions, several vbios versions and even tried a bunch of custom stuff.  They literally said 'your rig is crazy'.

There's probably some Eurocomm haters around here that would say 'that was your first mistake' or something glib like that but my point is that I should be able to upgrade my laptop myself at least through 1 generation of tech changes let alone a bunch of experts.

I know that laptops aren't as versatile as desktops, but for $4500, you guys could make it more extensible.

I'm very disappointed.

No Responses!
No Events found!