Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2012 08:00

Questions about a Alienware Aurora r4 ALX

Hello i just got my deal with a Alienware Aurora R4 ALX from denmark. Before im going to wire the money i asked support some questions about the hardware in the computer and learned that its motherboard dont have PCI Express 3.0. I expect this computer to last for atleast two years before i even think about buying another, but without PCI Express 3.0 im concerned that maybe it was a bad time to buy a AlienWare. But they have a great deal right now and i dont want to miss it but at the same time i dont want to buy a pc that is not future proof.

The pc will be used for the newest games and programs.

Photoshop CS6, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 and whatever interest me for the next couple of years.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

November 28th, 2012 10:00

Hi saucefar,

The Alienware Aurora R4 ALX computer comes with PCI express 2.0 as you mentioned.

The main difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is the bandwidth available to the cards, thus allowing greater amounts of data to be transferred to them. The potential for increased data throughout and performance within an embedded computing system is the primary application difference between the PCI Express 3.0 and 2.0 and interfaces.

Base Clock Speed:  PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GHz, PCIe 2.0 = 5.0GHz

Data Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 1000MB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 500MB/s

Total BandPCIe 3.0 = 32GB/s, PCIe 2.0 = 16GB/s

Data Transfer Rate: PCIe 3.0 = 8.0GT/s, PCIe 2.0= 5.0GT/s

PCIe 3.0 features a number of interface architecture improvements, but communicates at the same interface speeds used in PCIe 2.0. PCIe 3.0 achieves twice the communication speeds of PCIe 2.0 through various architecture and protocol management improvements.

In simple terms PCI express 3.0 and 2.0 are pretty much the same but the former has an increased speed and performance.

6 Posts

November 29th, 2012 18:00

Dear saucefar,

GPU-Z is not always able to detect the PCIe 3.0 feature. When I read your question, I suddenly entered my Aurora R4 Bios at the system startup by pressing F2. Then, I went to Advanced < Integrated Devices < PCIe Gen3 < Enabled. So, to answer your question, the Aurora R4 motherboard supports PCIe 3.0. You can enable or disable it by entering the Bios. I have a GTX 680 SLI. Hope my answer can help you.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2012 20:00

Hashley,

More great info. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

So Dell's implementation of x79 does provide at least enough PCIe lanes to full-bandwidth support one video card at PCIe x16 v3.0. Those screen-shots are golden.

What's confusing to me is the official Intel block diagrams (see above post) show only PCIe v2.0 ... your thoughts?

Tesla1856,

the answer lies in the motherboard model. The official Intel block diagrams for the upcoming X79 mobos date back mid 2011 and set a landmark for future motherboard manufacturers, establishing ''standard'' PCIe 2.0 and USB 2.0 solutions. After Intel announcement, many motherboard manufacturers decided to modify the ''standard'' scheme recommended by Intel and different motherboard models appeared mixing PCIe 2.0 and/or PCIe 3.0, together with USB 2.0 and/or 3.0. Moreover, Intel original scheme for X79 mobos was originally limited to PCIe x8 (http://ark.intel.com/products/64015/Intel-BD82X79-PCH#infosectiongraphicsspecifications) while most manufacturers decided to extend it to PCIe x16 just after Q3 2011. So, the original Intel scheme is not representative of the real situation arising right after.

The ultimate Alienware Aurora R4 X79 mobo is based on the MSI X79MA-GD45 motherboard model. If we read the specs here http://us.msi.com/product/mb/X79MA-GD45.html#/?div=Overview they are just identical to those Alienware indicated for its Aurora R4 here http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd.aspx?~ck=mn : both have 2x PCIe x16 + 2x PCIe x1; both have 6x USB 2.0 ports + 2x USB 3.0 ports; both have 4x DDR3 memory slots; both have unified UEFI; and obviously both have PCIe 3.0 on board.

Three conditions must be fulfilled at the same time to have a fully working PCIe 3.0: the CPU, the GPU, and the motherboard.  The first must be an Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge E; the second must be a Geforce 600 series or a Radeon 7000 series; the third must be a Z77 mobo or X79 mobo as ''revised'' by many manufacturers after Intel original announcement. If one of those three requirements is missing there will be no fully working PCIe 3.0.

Those problems don't concern the ultimate Aurora R4 version because: 1) it comes with Sandy Bridge E CPUs, i.e. i7 3820, 3930k, 3960x, all native PCIe 3.0 compliant CPU. Previous Ivy Bridge CPUs had to come with a PCIe 3.0 controller instead, and this was no common rule because IB were PCIe 2.0 native.; 2) it comes with Geforce 600 series or Radeon 7000 series, both PCIe 3.0 native; 3) it comes with a MSI X79MA-GD45 mobo model, formally rebranded as ''Alienware'' motherboard, and both are PCIe 3.0 native.

I have also tested the Bus Interface readout using GPU-Z after applying the Nvidia fix 3.0 and it seems that the Alienware X79 mobo can handle full-bandwidth support for two video cards at PCIe x16 3.0. The ''Render Test'' that I have recorded and uploaded here http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/99200174/file.html shows that the Alienware X79 mobo has enough power to fuel a SLI config x16 3.0. Both my GTX 680 SLI worked @ x16 PCIe 3.0 during the test (see the bottom-left side inscriptions during the red background render test).

In a nutshell, the official Intel block diagrams are a mere 'standard' that has been later revised by many motherboard manufacturers adding the PCI 3.0 and other important features. The truth lies in the mobo model, case by case. And the ultimate Alienware Aurora R4 motherboard comes with all three requirements ensuring full PCIe 3.0 support.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 11:00

The Alienware Aurora R4 ALX computer comes with PCI express 2.0 as you mentioned.

Kiran,

Are you sure? What Intel chipset is in these machines?

148 Posts

November 28th, 2012 13:00

The R4 has Intel® X79 Express Chipset  so it should be PCIe 3.0

However I have an uneasy feeling after reading through the specs and owners manual O_O Dell only states "PCI Express x16"  

I bough an R4 and will be feeling shafted  if Dell had the audacity to go PCI Express 2.0 on a X79 chipset in "Alienwares Most Advanced desktop"

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 14:00

The R4 has Intel® X79 Express Chipset  so it should be PCIe 3.0

However I have an uneasy feeling after reading through the specs and owners manual O_O Dell only states "PCI Express x16"  

I bough an R4 and will be feeling shafted  if Dell had the audacity to go PCI Express 2.0 on a X79 chipset in "Alienwares Most Advanced desktop"

See what CPUz and GPUz say about it. Could you let us know what you find?

AFAIK, it's determined by the chipset.

148 Posts

November 28th, 2012 18:00

Dell -------------------> Fail 

3513.GPUz.gif

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 20:00

I guess this is old now-days, but works great. Anyway ... should read like this or better. GPUz might be having a problem with that new chipset. There are other similar tools.

8015.gpuz-amd-5870.gif

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 20:00

Dell -------------------> Fail 

Weird ... did you run the Render test first?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 21:00

... why would i pay 3500$ for something that is outdated.

I agree, but I think there is something wrong with that computer or something.

Notice other numbers are not filled in and it says the card has 3gb on-board?

We are also waiting from a response from Dell to my question.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2012 21:00

Definitely not buying my computer from alienware this year then, why would i pay 3500$ for something that is outdated.

Basically in my country they just expect you to pay and dont ask questions, but for me buying a computer is like buying a car if you dont know what to look for you will get ripped off.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2012 22:00

I have a Alienware Aurora alx R3 with 8GB DDR3 1333mhz memory, a i7-975 extreme and a 295GTX right now.

For you people that are interested how PCI express 3..0 perform in programs and games compared to 2.0 check this out.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/2

they tested a 680/690 to see how they perform on 2.0/3.0 side by side in most games, the result average fps is exactly the same in most cases so i wouldnt be concerned about PCI Express 3.0 right now but i think it will change in the future.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2012 23:00

I have a Alienware Aurora alx R3 with 8GB DDR3 1333mhz memory, a i7-975 extreme and a 295GTX right now.

Actually, that's all still pretty nice. I'm a true believer in SSDs now ... it certainly can't hurt. 295 is duallie right? Check benchmarks against these ... sure, a 690 would be nice (for $1000) but what about a 680 or close-out 580? I don't track nVidia, but plenty of sites do.

Personally, I wouldn't be replacing that machine yet ... unless you just need to ... and want to sell the R3 to me cheap Dell says a new Area-51 is coming soon ... so there's that.  

EDIT: Kinda strange you got a R3 with that generation video card though. Seems like it would have been a 480 or newer.

EDIT 2: My response was to a slightly different version of this post.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2012 23:00

Problem with the 295 GTX is that it has high temps and they dont have directx11,  it seems i bought my machine 8-9 months before directx11 came out.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi Tesla1856,

I apologize for the delayed response. I checked again and it looks like this model supports 2.0 and 2.1 PCI express. The chipset it has is Intel X79.

No Events found!