Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2012 11:00

RAID 0 Performance M17x R4

Hello,

Got a quick question regarding the performance of my RAID 0 setup on my M17x R4.  System has been in my possesion for two weeks... and during that time I have noticed that compared to my Studio XPS 1640, this thing boots up really slow and doesn't score as high as the XPS on the Windows HDD transfer score.  Its score is 5.9 while everything else is above 7.  I went witht he RAID 0 configuration because I wanted to do away with that potential bottle neck... I think It should be faster than what I am seeing.  Any suggestions on what I should do to make it perform at a higher/faster level? 

M17x R4

16GB RAM

ATI HD7970

Two WD5000BPKT-7 HDDs in RAID 0 Config

Thanks for your responses in advance!  I appreciate your time and knowledge.  This is my first RAID configured machine.

June 28th, 2012 14:00

For the Windows Experience Index, the score will be 5.9 as Windows "reads" the RAID 0 config as a single hard drive.

To decrease the boot time, there's a few things you can try:

1. Make sure your HDD is the first boot device. (F2 at Alienware logo screen on start up to access the BIOS, then Boot tab)

2. Choose your start up programs. (Type msconfig on start menu, then startup items tab)

Hope this helps

16 Posts

June 29th, 2012 01:00

I have the same Windows Experience Index rating for my hard drive as well. Right now my index rating looks like this

Processor- 7.5

Memory(RAM)- 7.7

Graphics- 7.5

Gaming Graphics- 7.5

Primary Hard Disk- 5.9

These are based off of a rating scale of 1 to 7.9. The reason my Primary Hard Disk rating is at 5.9 is because it simply looks at the disk data transfer rate. And even though I have a 500gb Hybrid SSD with a 320gb WD HDD it is only reading the primary which is the 500gb Hybrid SSD and unfortunately all it is is a 500gb HDD with a 32gb SSD cache and the transfer rate is only 3 Gbps as is your Western Digital 500gb HDD. You would have to upgrade to a SSD with a 6 Gbps or higher data transfer rate to get a higher score. Or any SSD or HDD as long as the Disk Data Transfer Rate is higher than what you have now.  

No Events found!