February 28th, 2011 00:00

RE: Aurora keeps rebooting every time I restart after a proper shutdown

Hi,

PC Specs:

i7 920 3.20ghz

6gb ram Corsair 1600mhz 

ATI 5870

Windows 7 ultimate

I recently had to install a new copy of windows because I kept getting bsod's after I installed the new ram and eventually I was locked out.  So I backed up everything and installed the windows 7 from alienware dvd on the partition that previous win 7 was installed on.  I didnt delete the recovery partition but did format the previous win 7 partition.

The problem now is that everytime I press the power button after a proper shutdown I get a bsod sometime after the windows logo appears after boot and it keeps looping over.  Then I have to put in the install dvd and F12 boot from it....it unpacks and what not.  After that I cancel the setup and restart straight from the hard drive and it boots all the way to the logon screen.  I have a feeling that I'm missing some file that is on the dvd.  It started happening maybe 4 days ago...did not happen after the fresh install.

Also in the device manager I have a exclamation mark for a sata device but it doesnt find any drivers from internet or win 7 install dvd.  I dont know what is going on and I would rather get some help here than contact tech support first.  Thanks.

7167.capture.JPG

190 Posts

February 28th, 2011 16:00

for the missing driver , go to the Dell driver page and use service tag.

Your looking for this >

Silicon-Integrated-Systems_S_A02_R235001

106 Posts

February 28th, 2011 17:00

Hi Tesla,

I already ran a diagnostic on both memory and the entire system and everything was fine.  The thing is that I dont remember having this issue when I fresh installed.  Also like a said once win 7 dvd start unpacking its files and get to the menu.  I quit the setup and upon next reboot it goes straight to logon.  Also in my previous post I said that repair your computer isnt working either so I dont know but it definitely has to be something from the dvd.  Let me see if the silicon driver does it for me otherwise there might be files missing from the boot manager which otherwise should be there.  I hope not.  Thats when Im gonna need some real help because I'm a noob.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I would suggest you remove the Over-Clock on the 920, and install the original Dell memory. Run that config to check the whole machine. You can also run Dell Diagnostics, games, benchmarks ... or whatever stresses the machine hard to check.

If that works, you will know it's likely the new RAM or it's BIOS settings.

MemTest86 is good for checking memory. Let it run 2 or 2 passes ... should get 0 errors.

106 Posts

Thanks for your response.  I am currently at work but will report back in 3 hours.  I really hope that the missing driver is the culprit.  Also the repair your computer option doesnt really work because it loads up teh files and then the computer restarts.  Thanks again.

106 Posts

February 28th, 2011 21:00

Hi,

So I removed the level 1 overclock and set the xmp to disabled before booting into windows.  Got to logon screen and then there was a graphical crash followed by bsod.  I turned xmp support on and ended up straight to windows no issues for now.  So, what does that mean I cant overclock even though I know that I put the 1600 mhz precisely in slot 1, 3, and 5 of the motherboard.

No Events found!