Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2014 16:00

REinstall windows 7 on Alienware X51

Hi to all,

I've got the following problem: I own an Alienware X51 PC that natively comes out with Windows 7 with boot in UEFI mode. Now I want to reinstall the operative system in the same mode, but I can't. By surfing the web there are plenty of guides on how to achieve this, but not in my case. What I am suposed to do is to set UEFI boot in the BIOs (that I have updated to last version) and then booting from an UEFI DVD with the Windows 7 DVD inside it.

The problem is that if the boot mode is UEFI the only device I can boot from is the internal Hard disk :-(!!! In other words, no DVD reader is seen. On the contrary, if I select Legacy mode in the bios, I get all the possible options to boot from (dvd readers, USB keys, etc.). 

How can I make the DVD reader visible even with UEFI boot mode?

Thank you in advance

• 

2.7K Posts

December 12th, 2014 14:00

You might need some drivers to finish the installation in UEFI, check out this article  it might help you.

December 12th, 2014 16:00

If you stick the Windows 7 disc in the drive (it has EFI boot code I believe) and hit F2 during boot, you should have an option to boot from the disc. Please give it a try.

As far as I remember, even with EFI mode selected in BIOS there was an option to boot from CD/DVD. Don't know what has changed - I don't have my X51 anymore so cannot check.

Try selecting this with the disc already in the drive.

No Events found!