Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2012 13:00

Recovery partion not functional after system reinstall.

I had to reinstall the operating system on my X51 Alienware. Two partitions were made. One for the OS the other as a Recovery partions. Upon further investigation, it turns out that I have 4 partitions with two identical Recovery partions, 30 GB each, neither of which work. They would not Respawn. Any suggestions? Thank you.

December 24th, 2012 08:00

Sound like some extra partitions were made when reinstalling. Try to install W7 again.

When you get to pick the partition, erase all volumes and create a new one. Install on that primary and let the rest intact. You should have 3 partitions: 8MB for Windows, xGB Primary and xGB Unallocated Space.

Here is a video on how to do it: [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpX4Lb64bq0]

Thank you, cheers!

5 Posts

December 24th, 2012 11:00

I am tired of reinstalling all my programs from scrach. I am thinking of using disk imaging software by http://www.oo-software.de/ to image my C partition where I have all the updated drivers and windows, along with other application programs installed. Is this a viable workaround?

5 Posts

December 24th, 2012 12:00

I have had nothing but headaches ever since I tried to restore my windows XP backup files using Cabonite backup onto the Windows 7 Alienware machine. It took a perfectly good machine and ruined it. The last time I did a system reinstall was via teach support of Alienware through Costa Rico. I do not think that he really knew what he was doing. So here we are. Thanks for your suggestions and support. I now have to purchase an external Hard drive to do the diskimage. I have read terrible reviews about Western Digital and Seagate. I am opting for last year's model of Toshiba's 1TB Drive. They simply do not make external hard drive like they use to. Thanks for the help Frank.

December 24th, 2012 12:00

It is an option, it would require you to be a little more careful. Let me know how it goes

No Events found!