Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2014 13:00

Red Screen at Login Screen

This question has been asked before, but it doesn't look like it has an available answer and the thread was closed:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19464900.aspx

Right after going through the bootup process and seconds after the windows login screen when the blue background shows up, my Alienware X51 decides to change the screen to a bright red color.  As seen below:

7713.photo.JPG

At this point, Dell has replaced the motherboard and the video card in the system.  For reference, it's running this graphics card:  1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.

The Dell support team has determined that after replacing the motherboard and the graphics card, the next place to troubleshoot is the software package.  Rather than do any actual investigative work, they just want me to back everything up and then re-install windows 7 to see if that's the cause of the problem.  They don't know what's actually wrong, they used the term "will probably fix" and I don't want to waste several nights trying to back everything up, reinstall windows, and then restore all of my files if there is a simpler fix running around.

Has anybody else had this issue before?  Is there a driver, piece of software, etc., that is causing the problem?  I am using the DVI connection for both monitors.  This problem does not seem to happen when we launch into Safe Mode with Networking.

Thank you for your help and time.
grumble84

3 Posts

August 13th, 2014 08:00

I was able to find a solution to the problem.  Instead of searching dell forums or relying on their tech support team for help, I searched Google and Nvidia's community for similar problems with my specific graphics card without X51 in the search field.  It turned up a number of helpful results.

I launched into safe mode and uninstalled all of the drivers associated with the Nvidia graphics card.

Dell's support website has v 311.06 (last update 3/21/14) available on their website.  Instead of downloading and re-installing this driver (like the support team did 10x in a row... shockingly, it still didn't work after the 10th reinstall...  Also as an aside, my USB 3.0 ports stopped working the week before, and similarly, that was also their solution until 76 minutes into the call, they admitted that the ports did not work), I went to Nvidia's website directly and grabbed the most recent version of their software.  Available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77224/en-us

It's version 340.52 and was released in July 2014.  

After installing this version on 8/8, I haven't had a problem with the computer since.  There has not been a red screen of death since the driver reinstall and I am satisfied that the problem has been resolved.

It did not require me to backup all of my files.  Or find re-install discs and serial #s for MS office, etc.  It was solved after an hour or so of searching on google and nvidia help forums.  If the initial Dell support analyst had tried that instead of wasting 2 hours of my time on the call, 3/4 hours of my time waiting at home for 2 in-person visits from their 3rd party tech team, it would have saved all of us hours and it would have saved them money in the long run.

Please reach out if anybody else is having the same problem and I'm happy to walk you through the solution that is currently working for my X51.

Thanks,
grumble84

• 

2.7K Posts

August 8th, 2014 14:00

Since the issue doesn't happen while you are on safe mode I will recommend you to go for the clean installation of windows.

However as well have you tried the monitor on different ports and have you tried to uninstall the video card driver and re install it again? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Clean installing Windows and drivers is the best way to find out if problem is hardware or software related. You can put your current drive aside, and install to spare disc if you want.

A good second test would be to: try removing the discrete video card and only use the built-in Intel video (if possible).

3 Posts

Yes, we have updated the BIOS and to the newest driver for the video card.  We also tried moving the ports and the same thing happens.

The Dell rep offered to connect me with a group that would actually troubleshoot the software, but they apparently charge by the hour.  The way it has been explained to me, they want me to do a clean install so they don't have to do any actual work and figure out what the problem really is.  

The poor 3rd party tech they sent out to fix my computer told me that they are just being lazy basically.  They have no idea what is causing the problem, so instead of trying to resolve it, their solution is just to reinstall windows.

No Events found!