Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2015 03:00

Refurbished Alienware 18 has a bit of problems in it

I just got my Alienware 18 back from the store where I bought for a repair:

As soon as I turned it back on I noticed several things that seems to be a problem:

• Device Manager shows me some "Unknown Devices" in the "Other devices category.
  • Even though I am technically on Windows 8, a small little text on the bottom-right corner of the screen shows "Windows 8.1, Build 9700"
  • Everytime I open an application, either the pictures or the text in the program are blurry or just low resolution
  • Windows 8 won't update my Ethernet and right now its disabled.
  • Before I sent my laptop away for repairs I only have 1 directory( Which is just Drive D: and its a 1.35 TB space) but now I have 2 Drives which is D: and F: and both are 637 GBs

Is there any links to fix these(especially the last one)

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Click here to view an article from PCWorld that explains how to find the drivers for the "Unknown Devices". All of the drivers and applications can be downloaded from the Dell support site, click here to view the link. I'm not sure why they split your Hard Drive space into 2 partitions, I suppose you could delete the partitions and create one single primary partition like you it had originally but you would need to reinstall Windows again to do that. 

September 3rd, 2015 00:00

How do I exactly do I merge them? Cause I did find the Manager Program for the Hard drive but just to be safe, I didn't touch any settings yet. And if I do have to reinstall Windows again, does all the drivers I installed would still be in the computer or do I have to reinstall them again?

I am still confused at why the text in some programs are very blurry like the resolution is at the lowest. I also managed to fix the Ethernet Driver, took me a while to find the driver.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 11:00

Hi, 

If you reinstall Windows, you will have to install the system drivers and applications again, they can be downloaded from the Dell support site. You have to delete the partitions first and then create a new primary partition, this can only be done by reinstalling Windows using the media that you may have received.

September 4th, 2015 00:00

Hello,

I was about to start work on deleting the partitions and then creating a new one, but when I turned on the computer and it updated, the 2nd Disk is gone.

Basically what used to be Drive D: and Drive E: now turned into Drive C:, Both Drive D and F were both 697 GBs, so that equals to almost 1.20 TB, which was the normal File Space. But now, Drive D: basically turned into Drive C:. Drive F disappeared, 2nd Hard Drive still shows up being connected to the computer, but every-time I attempt to configure it in Disk Management, it doesn't show up. Before it has Drive 0( Drive D:) and Drive 1(Drive F:) showing, now it only shows Drive 0(Drive C:) and BD-ROM (F:)

Any way to get Windows 8 to recognize the 2nd HDD usable for Partition?

September 4th, 2015 01:00

Never mind. Laptop went nuts on me again and gets stuck on BSOD. Off to where I bought it to send it for repairs

No Events found!