Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

SLI GTX 670 wiring help!

Heya guys and gals. I have an Aurora R3 and it has 2 gt 545 in sli atm. I am buying 2 new EVGA GTX 670's to sli with. My question is the power connectors. I can not for the life of me find a diagram of the GPU power output from the 875w PSU it has in it. Or even for the build itself for that matter, it not in the manual I was given by Alienware. I have heard that its a good idea to seperate the GPU power cables between the 2 harnesses. The 670 need 2, 6 pins each. The gt 545 I have now use 1, 6 pin each and it came with the other harness tucked outa the way. So I'm guessing the 2 gt 545 I have now are on the same "rail" I think its called.

When I put in my 2, gtx 670's do I use the same rail for each card since it takes 2 6 pins each?

There will be a total of all 4 connectors used so does it matter which connector goes where, or do I needa use 1 connector from each rail for each card?

Thanks for the help, nervous about hurting something haha!

2.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 17:00

It won't matter since you have 4 6-pins on the 670's and 4 connectors on the PSU. Just stick them on and thats it. Even if you ran a card off a single rail I don't think it would matter with the 670. If you want to make sure then run one card off the p14/p17 and the other card off the remaining two. That will make each card run off two rails. If you do get a card that has a 8-pin and a 6-pin then do it that way.

On my Area 51 system I had to run one 680 off a single cable. I then split another cable to run one 8-pin( one cable for each 8-pin ) on each of the other two 680's. I then used one cable for each of the two remaining 6-pins. The 680's don't use much power and even with 3 cards and one GPU running off a single cable it's very stable. I see no issue with your 670's which use even less power.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 19:00

Ok, thanks for the help. Sounds easy enough!

No Events found!