Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2015 04:00

SSD upgrade for Alienware X51 R2 without replacing existing 3.5TB HDD

Hello guys

i need help to boot the OS from the SSD i've installed. I've already read this quite old post en.community.dell.com/.../19450393 ;, but I can't find the information i need. My situation is the following: i bought a 250 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO and i decided to migrate the OS from my HDD into the SSD via usb/sata 3 cable. I did that and then placed the SSD into the X51 case, following the guide at the previous link. I left the HDD in its place and mounted the SSD on the CD/DVD drive (see in the photo).

After that i went into the BIOS pressing F12 at Windows 10 start, cause i believed i could change boot option from there, but i can't find an option for the SSD, can only choose between USB boot, HDD boot, CD/DVD boot, but how do i manage to boot from SSD? I see device is correctly installed, cause under the SATA information in BIOS i read "SATA 3: SAMSUNG EVO 850", so it is not a problem of cables.

Optimized-pc ssd.jpg

I also tried to disconnect my HDD sata 2 cable and restart the computer, but it tells me that no bootable device is found. Do i need to remove HDD completly? I thought removing Sata 2 cable was just enough in order to switch the boot froom HDD to SSD.

Can you help me pls? It's my first time playing with computer components, so i'm not an expert. Thanks a lot, Jack.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2015 09:00

Any help pls? I'm stuck in this situation.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 15th, 2015 19:00

That Molex adapter doesn't appear to support 3.3volts (and maybe your drive needs it).

You can also just use a SATA power plug 1-to-2 plug splitter.

That SSD needs to be screwed down somehow.

Test SSD in external enclosure or other PC and make sure it works. At a minimum, it should appear in BIOS.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19450393

6 Posts

November 16th, 2015 00:00

Thanks for the answer. I'm posting some photos so that you can see that actually the SSD is detected in the BIOS,  but i can't do nothing with it, cause it is not an editable field.

I also see the SSD drive from my computer, as u can see drive (C) is main HDD, while drive (A) is SSD with cloned stuff. I just don't know how to choose drive (A) as main boot option. 

Does it depend on UEFI/LEGACY boot mode?I have UEFI right now, never tried LEGACY.

May i do something from inside the computer?Or is it possible to change boot option only in BIOS? I have windows 10 atm.

Thanks, Jack.

collage.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 16th, 2015 01:00

Oh, ok ... I misunderstood your problem.

If it is showing in BIOS, then your wiring is ok.

So, this is a "cloned" drive? Not sure what program you used but maybe it went badly and the SSD is not formatted properly to boot the machine (so it would not be selectable).

This is Windows10-64bit huh? I usually use uEFI, AHCI, and SecureBoot for those.

You can try Legacy and SecureBoot either on or off.

Re-clone or try Macrium (Free). Finally, you can clean install to a blank drive (disconnect spinning drive first).

6 Posts

November 16th, 2015 02:00

Yes this is a cloned drive, i used Macrium (free version), the one you suggest me, cause samsung migration software (that came with the ssd) did not detect ssd when i connected via sata3-to-usb cable (i've found that this is a common problem of samsung migration tool).

Yes, i'm running windows 10 64 bit.

Strange thing is that i can't find any option in my BIOS to change to AHCI boot mode, i only find UEFI and LEGACY.Tonight I'll try LEGACY as you suggested, hopefully it changes something. Is it possible that i have an old version of BIOS? If yes, where do i find the updated version?

If this does not work i'll try clone again with Macrium or do u think i should use another software?

The last option you suggest is the clean install, but what do you mean by that? I'm thinking about formatting the SSD, removing the cloned OS, preparing a USB with windows 10 on it, make a USB boot and install win10 on SSD from that. Is that what you mean?In this case what should i put exactly on the usb? Is the imagine of win10 (with the original product key) from microsoft.com sufficient ? Or do i have to care about other drivers/stuff?

Thank you very much for your time.

Jack

6 Posts

November 16th, 2015 13:00

I came home and changed to LEGACY boot mode. Suddenly i could see my SSD in the booable devices. So i selected the ssd as boot device and pressed enter but what i got was a black screen with this words

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

okok.jpg

Actually i don't quite know what to do. I checked the cables and it's all connected. Somewhere i found that i should connect ssd to port p0, the one of the HDD. I actually tried to disconnect the sata 2 cable of HDD and to put the sata3 connector of ssd in that port, but nothing changed. Have you got any idea? Maybe i need to clone again?

Thanks, Jack.

November 16th, 2015 23:00

If drive is showing up in BIOS then I suspect the cloning process may not be happening properly.

I would recommend clean installing Windows 10 on your SSD.  Set BIOS to AHCI mode and choose UEFI option.  You should be able to create a Windows 10 install USB stick and use that to install Windows 10 on the SSD.  You will have to install drivers after Windows 10 installs.

Use link below to create bootable USB:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

6 Posts

November 19th, 2015 00:00

Funny thing is i cannot find any AHCI mode in my BIOS, only UEFI and LEGACY. Regarding the USB device, the link you provided me is for windows 7/8,1 users, cause the tool may not work on windows 10. Should i use it ? Or do you suggest me another link ? Can u confirm the following: i have to put only windows 10 on the usb device, connect it and select "USB boot", install windows on SSD, and then install alienware drivers (i have the original CD).

November 19th, 2015 05:00

I wrote this guide years ago for Win 7 so I don't know how well it will work for Win 10 - I have not personally installed this on Win 10, nonetheless I don't see why it should not work.

On the link I provided, there is an option for "Using the media creation tool" -> "Perform a clean creation a USB or DVD".  This should allow you to install Win 10 from the USB, please read this section thoroughly - i'm also assuming that you've installed Win 10 on your original hard-disk (3.5") so it should activate using the same activation key internally - I have read that you should skip the "enter activation key" portion during installation as it will automatically activate once Win 10 installs (assuming you had installed Win 10 earlier on this system).

Original CD will not have Win 10 drivers .. you'll need to download from Dell web-site.  The other option is to install Win 7/8.1 from original CD and then upgrade it to Win 10.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 19th, 2015 18:00

Funny thing is i cannot find any AHCI mode in my BIOS

I wouldn't worry about it.

My guess is it's locked on AHCI. There is no option to switch it because RAID setting is not available on this small machine.

No Events found!