Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2012 21:00

Samsung 830 series or 840 series

im upgrading my m14x and need a little input should i go with the 830 series or the 840 series the 830 is mlc which lasts longer from my understanding than the 840 series tlc but the 840 series is 100 bucks cheaper

2.4K Posts

October 31st, 2012 02:00

Hello,

I have been researching on this issue and came across an article please refer to the link mentioned below for the same.: 
http://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/tlc-mlc-and-slc-devices

Based on this article I would suggest going with a Multi-Level Cell (MLC). 

I agree.

SLC is faster, costs more and much more reliable but you really can't tell with everyday use. I have only bought the cheaper MLC's after feeling like I got burned on my first SLC that did fail a month later. I will never buy OCZ again. They gave me a big run around trying to get my money back .

I have two Intel X-25M G2 80gb's in my Area 51 running in raid. That means I also have no trim. They have been 100% since I bought them 3 years ago. No errors and no drops in speed.

My take on it is to buy whatever is cheaper so long as you buy a GOOD brand. Intel sold me with the X25's so It's all I buy now. I have bought 6 more Intel's since getting those X-25s. Never an issue.

What is the difference between MLC (Multi Level Cell) and SLC (Single Level Cell) solid state drives?

Multi-Level Cell is a memory technology that stores bits of information in multiple levels in a cell. Because of this, MLC drives have a higher storage density and the per MB manufacturing cost is less but there is a higher chance of error on the drive. This type of drive is typically used in consumer based products. Single Level Cell only stores bits of information on a single level per cell. This decreases power consumption and allows for faster transfer speeds. This technology is typically reserved for higher end or enterprise memory cards where speed and reliability are more important than cost.http://enterprisefeatures.com/2011/06/the-difference-between-mlc-multi-level-cell-and-slc-single-level-cell-ssds-solid-state-drives/

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

October 30th, 2012 22:00

i think for casual usage, there won't be much difference

2.4K Posts

GO cheaper. You can't tell.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

Hello,

I have been researching on this issue and came across an article please refer to the link mentioned below for the same.: 
http://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/tlc-mlc-and-slc-devices

Based on this article I would suggest going with a Multi-Level Cell (MLC). 

October 31st, 2012 10:00

thank you allan and morblore ive decided and ordered the samsung 830 512 GB from newegg it will be here tomorrow from my research samsung is up there with intel when it comes to quality so MLC wins

1 Message

November 1st, 2012 11:00

Allan and Morblore you both are Rockstars. Awesome research and resolution provided. It is very helpful for a novice like me..  

No Events found!