Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2010 12:00

Should I use DVI or HDMI with my Alienware 23"?

Hello

I just got an Alienware aurora with Alienware 23" HD 3D monitor.  I won't be using 3D and was wondering which cable is the best to connect, the DVI or HDMI?  I have a HD Graphic card and am a bit confused on this.

Thanks

Mike

57 Posts

June 18th, 2010 18:00

If you go HDMI you won't see anything on your screen until Windows boots up & loads the driver. So really you'll miss the BIOS screen and anything that may appear before Windows loads the driver. I'd really consider this to be a disadvantage.

Go with DVI, I'd say.

5 Posts

June 19th, 2010 07:00

Hi

Thanks for replying.  So what your saying is, that they are pretty much the same in picture quality wise and that Id only miss the BIOS screen.  Problem solved, thanks ;)

2.4K Posts

June 19th, 2010 10:00

DVI and HDMI are exactly the same image quality. Only dif is HDMI will also carry sound(kinda). This is why you can use an adapter to change DVI to HDMI.

If you want to use HDMI and want sound then the card must have the SPDIF sound jumper connected. It will then pass sound from the DVI to the HDMI adapter and put out sound or straight from the HDMI jack on the card. I think they have a new one that doesnt need the jumper for the sound but im not sure.

5 Posts

June 19th, 2010 12:00

Many thanks for the replies... Il go for DVI

372 Posts

June 20th, 2010 08:00

I use HDMI on both my 28" monitors, I see the bios, loading everything. 

No Events found!