Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 21st, 2012 02:00

Slow speed on Alienware m14x with i7 2630 processor and 4gb ram. HELP!

Hello,

I bought an Alienware m14x with i7 2630 processor, 4gb ram, 1.5 gb nvidia 555m graphics card on 30th december. I expected it to give me great data transfer speed within my notebook(copy paste data within my drives and folders and from/to an external drive), but it gives me just around 5-6 mbps when I copy and paste data to some other folder within my notebook or to any external drive. And it even takes quite a time to boot up and start my notebook. I possess a windows 7 home premium 64 bit version.

Please help me, What do I do, how do I increase its speed?

Thanks and regards,

Rahim Thobani,

<ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

February 21st, 2012 10:00

Hey, Thanks for the reply. Well i get sum 12-15 MB/s(mega bytes per second) on my netbook which has intel atom processor and 1gb ram. And well as you suggested, i used Crystal Diskmark and i don't know how it works or what the results mean, I got results as follows:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read :    86.681 MB/s

Sequential Write :    78.675 MB/s

Random Read 512KB :    30.605 MB/s

Random Write 512KB :    42.855 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.388 MB/s [    94.7 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.716 MB/s [   174.8 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.805 MB/s [   196.6 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.714 MB/s [   174.4 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 53.3% (119.9/224.8 GB)] (x5)

Date : 2012/02/21 23:22:02

OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

What does it mean?

Thanks and regards,

Rahim.

90 Posts

February 21st, 2012 17:00

Some day I am going to have to read the terms of use for this forum so maybe my responses will stop being deleted.

What those results show is that your harddrive is running normally, the numbers you got are pretty normal.

As far as copy/pasting being slow, I am afraid I can't be much more help.  I would suggest defragging your harddrive, see if that helps, it shouldn't be too bad after such a small amount of time but you never know.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2012 18:00

Rahim,

In your post you mentioned slow I/O speeds for external devices. I'm not sure if your external disk problems are USB 3.0 related, but the following helped me with my m14x and transfer speeds to my external hard disk.

DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk. These are drivers not provided by Dell, and just because they worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean they will work for you as well.

FIRST: Create a restore point PRIOR to installing these new drivers (just in case they don't work and you need to restore to the previous configuration!

2). Download the following Renesas USB 3.0 drivers from Intel's website (On Intel's site, it says the driver set is for Desktop boards, but they have worked flawlessly on my m14x):

downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx

3). Save the installer to your desktop, disconnect/unplug any devices in your usb ports, right click and "run as administrator".

4). Win7 will recognize the new drivers and update your Renesas USB 3.0 drivers to the latest version. The installer also comes with a USB Port Utility (should install to your start menu), run it, and disable power saving features for your USB 3.0 ports.

- After I did this, I ran a disk benchmark on my USB 3.0 compatible external hard drive, and my read/write speeds increased an additional 20 to 25 MB/s. To check if the update was successful, open Device Manager, click Universal Serial Bus Controllers, double-click Renesas USB 3.0, click the Driver tab. It should display the driver version 2.1.28.0.

Hope this helps you in some way.  

February 22nd, 2012 05:00

Thanks for the reply Disrupt0r, will try think about that as you warned me already in that disclaimer. :)

@goonielife, thanks for your reply but sorry i don't know any thing about defragmantation. But thanks a lot :)

No Events found!