Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CF

August 3rd, 2015 09:00

Some webpages not loading on new Alienware

A week ago, I recieved my new Alienware. The first thing I did after booting it, was upgrading to windows 10 . So essentially I have a new computer and a new OS, which means I'm not which has caused my problem.

My problem is, that a lot of webpages will not load in any browser  (I have tried both Mozilla and Edge) eventhough they will load fine on my old Alienware and I can ping them in a commandprompt.

An example is espn (espn.go.com)) which I can ping nicely but will not load in Mozilla, but simply eventually returns "The connection has timed out". A lot of pages has this problems and even the ones which does work will frequently time out (and still I can browse then without problems on my old computer).

I have found and tried a lot of suggestions for this problem with no avail, and since windoows 10 is so new the suggestions are not specific for that OS.

Have any other experienced similar problems and do anybody know how to solve them?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

Hello, 

Just to confirm, you are using an Alienware 17 R2 correct? Try testing this in safe mode with networking, if it does not happen in safe mode, there could be a program or application conflicting with the internet connection.

August 6th, 2015 01:00

Hi Rodrigo

I did as you suggested and restarted in safe mode with networking, and after some connection problems, I managed to access the sites, which I coundn't load before, and I even managed to finish my Mozilla Thunderbird configuration for the first time and receive the ails waiting for me.

I had try to use msconfig to exclude the services, which seemed safe and eventually I appearently had loaded everything including a windows defender and the firewall, where everything appearently worked (I checked in the settings that they were enabled).

But now it is not working again, Mozilla can't send or receive mails, and the troublesome sites (like espn.go.com or the office365 orderflow) can't load again. I don't know if the troublesome securityfeatures started delayed, but now I can't access a lot of things again.

But I have seen that connection is possible, so it is just some security-feature, which is causing me trouble, eventhough, I'm still not sure which, and how to solve it.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 6th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Is the issue still happening for both Mozilla and Edge or just Mozilla? You can try checking the security options for the antivirus that you are using, if you are using Windows Defender, click here to view another thread from the Microsoft Community forum. It explains how to configure Windows Defender to permit access to a blocked site, It may show different for Windows 10 but I believe it should still have the same options. 

August 6th, 2015 13:00

Yes the issue is still heppening in both edge and Mozilla.

I can't just turn off windows defender in win10, but I have tried something else:

I tried using msconfig to disable every services starting with and managed to get everything working, so I added one service at the time and ended up having everything enabled and things still working. But then the computer crashed and when restarting the issue returned.

If I just turn of windows defender in the settings (turn off realtime... ), then I still get the error, so it seems that defender isn't the problem (unless defender doesn't recognize midiately, that it has been trned off).

But that is the issue with the websites: https:\\www. facebook.com  is responding imidiately, but espn.go.com is just timing out. Can the problem be caused, by one site not being https or something like that, and how should that be solved then.

August 7th, 2015 01:00

Today I discovered, that my connectin is actually working, if I use cable, so it seems, that the connection error is specific for my wireless connection.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 10:00

Hello, 

Thanks for confirming that. Can you also confirm what wireless card you are using with the system? You can check this in Device Manager under Network Adapters

August 7th, 2015 14:00

Hi

I just checked my wireless. It's a Killer wireless-n/a/ac 1525 wireless network adapter.

I have no idea about what settings are used for that.

3 Posts

August 9th, 2015 13:00

I have the exact same problem and I am at the same point as Christian. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 10th, 2015 15:00

Hello, 

Please go to Device Manager. Click on Network Adapters and then right click on the Killer 1525 WiFi network adapter, left click properties, power management and uncheck the box that says allow computer to turn off this device to save power. Test it out after doing this, let us know how it goes. 

3 Posts

August 10th, 2015 19:00

Christian I reinstalled my wireless driver but I downloaded the latest driver from the website.  When I went to reinstall the driver, you have to navigate to the point where you can pick which driver to install (I cant remember how to do this).  You will see a list of drivers the name of one driver (the driver windows defaults to) shows this  "n l a l ac".  there should be a another driver that shows the same portion but like this "n/a/ac"  I chose this one and it worked instantly. 

August 11th, 2015 09:00

Mike you are a genius :) I uninstalled my wireless and found it again using 'scan hardware changes' and now it reinstalled it with all the missing sites avaiable. so eerything seems to be working now.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2015 17:00

No Problem Christian, I know that feeling of joy.  . 

No Events found!