Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 11:00

Stagnant parts dispatch, unresolved issues with Alienware M17x R4

Hello,
I purchased an Alienware M17x R4 on July 28th, 2012. The unit arrived with several issues, including the screen internally separating from the plastic display 'glass', soft-touch coating peeling on the lid, bad issues with keyboard flex and hit or miss registration of keypresses on the left most portion of the keyboard (shift key not always capitalizing as an example), and sticky residue on various surfaces.
After some use noticed that the AMD 7970M was having bad utilization issues and crashes both with switchable graphics on and off, though particularly bad with the switchable graphics on a CSR assisted in troubleshooting and diagnosis for the better part of an hour. Her manager decided that the GPU should be replaced with an nVidia GPU. She looked for some time and specifically settled on the GTX 690M, a part which she assured me would be faster than a 680M and was not yet released. Happy with the promise of significantly improved performance in exchange for the difficulties with the laptop I accepted the offer. This was August 23rd.
A week passed and I was not contacted by the Dell authorized technician who was supposed to provide next business day service on my laptop. I called in to technical support and after a long winded conversation with another support rep it was revealed that the 690M does not exist, at least not in a form that can be dispatched to a customer.
After discussing the various other issues that would need service on the computer I brought up to the representative the possibility of getting an entire laptop replacement with one that contained theoretical 690M performance. The representative agreed that that would be probably the singular way to get the promised graphics performance upgrade and that the other replacement parts needed for the laptop would typically require a complete teardown and would usually just result in a machine replacement. He assured me that at the very least I'd be contacted within 48 hours as the issue was addressed internally.
It has been over a month since that initial dispatch (can provide dispatch number through private messaging) 
Just looking to get this resolved! Thanks in advance.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2012 14:00

It's been almost a week without any guidance.

No Events found!