Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2014 20:00

Strange Issue with Aurora R4

So I got my new Aurora R4 about two to three weeks ago, and everything seemed to be fine for the first week, until I started running games like The Witcher, Civilization V and Dues Ex: Human Revolution. When I try to run these games I can get anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour into the game, and suddenly the whole system shuts off and then comes back on. 

Whenever it boots up the fans are louder than they were the first week, and make a slight clicking noise too. I've run all of the diagnostic tests that Dell suggest through their support pages, and other than my CPU consistently running between 50 Celsius and 58 Celsius (Temperature from BIOS), everything else seems to be running at normal parameters. I took off the side panel of my ALX Case and checked everything, seems ok. Even with the panel off, The Witcher could only run for about 40 minutes.  So I don't think it's an overheating issue.

The little green light on the Power Supply Unit goes off when the system shuts off as well, so I'm wondering if it's maybe a PSU problem, or possibly my outlet? I haven't checked other outlets in the house yet, but it shuts down regardless of which one I use in my room.

My Specs are:

Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Intel Core i7 - 4820k

Radeon R9 290x 4gb GDDR5

16gb Quad Channel DDR3 1600 MHz

MSI Intel X79 Express Motherboard (Not sure which one Alienware uses)

Alienware 875 Watt Multi GPU PSU 

Alienware Aurora ALX Case

If anyone has some tips of suggestions on how to fix this myself, please let me know. Even if I can narrow down what the issue is, that'll really help when I call in a Dell Service Technician.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

suddenly the whole system shuts off and then comes back on. 

That does sound like a "lack of power" problem.

Assuming the power supply wire colors indicate the 12v rails going to the video cards:
Try with a power connector from each wire set at the same time.
Meaning, with a single card ...
use either P14 OR P15
and ALSO
either P16 OR P17

New with warranty? Sure, call phone support and use your warranty (but still do above).

Now, if it's instead crashing (without showing BSOD) ... that usually points to a core-hardware problem.

I'll definitely check those first.

And ya, it shuts off with no Blue Screen of Death. Also when it boots up, there isn't even a screen saying "Your system failed to shut down properly"

No Events found!