Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2010 17:00

Strange noise after adding Hard Drives

I added two Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0GB/s 500-GB Hard Drives and sometimes they are making a strange noise. The sound is like when you turn on a hard drive in a enclosure while you hear when the hd is starting up and moving but in this case it's louder and the disk is stuck or something. By clicking the hd folders and hearing that sound windows stuck for a while and then folders come up. Also the most weir thing is if I pull up the case a little while the sound stops. Sometimes can pass hours without the sound and sometimes is annoying but after all I can access my data. Are my hard drives damage? Power Issue? What should I do?

265 Posts

June 26th, 2010 18:00

Usually if you experience the drive getting "stuck" its a prime indication that the drives are starting to fail and also if you hear a "clicking" sort of noise when you are trying to access the drive.

If you just bought the drives, I would highly recommend returning them to the store for new ones, or RMA'ing them to the manufacturer if there is warranty left on them.

57 Posts

June 29th, 2010 17:00

You know, if might just be that your power savings feature is shutting off your HDDs. Check AlienFusion or Windows' Power Settings and see if your HDDs are automatically being turned off after so many minutes. I know mine was set at 10 mins. and I heard a strange noise everytime I came back and accessed any data.

Hopefully it might just be that simple, but if not...G'luck on those RMAs.

35 Posts

June 29th, 2010 17:00

Do you think it might be related that I used to have both disks working externally with an enclosure?

No Events found!