Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2016 02:00

Strange rattling from X51 R2, started out of nowhere one day

I've been having a strange rattling sound coming from my computer lately. It started a while after I installed a new GPU, so I'm not sure if it was anything wrong during the installation process. I'd especially like to know if this is something that's actually worth worrying about, and if so what I can do about it.

Here's a video of the sound (it especially picks up around the 25 second mark, though you might wanna turn your volume up)[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOoduQOuVU:550:0]

If any other information is needed, please let me know. Thank you.

July 9th, 2016 06:00

Hello my friend , is the system have water cooling or air fan cooling on cpu ?

19 Posts

July 9th, 2016 11:00

It's air cooling. This is a completely stock X51 R2 except for the gpu.

19 Posts

July 16th, 2016 11:00

Hello my friend , is the system have water cooling or air fan cooling on cpu ?

Sorry, I believe I didn't respond properly to this post.

The CPU uses the stock air cooling fan.

July 17th, 2016 01:00

Could be fan hitting cable or a broken spring screw from one of the mounts causing vibration  -- I have seen photos of such broken components rattling around in X51s in this forum some time ago.

Open up the side panel so you can have a better idea of where the sound is coming from.

901 Posts

July 17th, 2016 09:00

Sound like one of the fans is either out of alignment or just clipping something like a cable.

Try taking the CPU shroud off and moving the cables around. Also check the spare GPU power lead is not interfering anywhere, it used to come loose and jam in the GPU fan in the first release X51

19 Posts

October 29th, 2016 11:00

Sorry for taking so long to respond, if anyone's still willing to help. I looked inside the computer and found the source of the sound is, in fact, the GPU fan. Giving it a few spins occasionally results in it making the same rattling sound, even when completely removed from the machine. I haven't taken off the GPU covering (since it's reference cooled) to see if there's anything under there that could be hitting it, but there was nothing visible in there so I assume not.

No Events found!