Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2010 11:00

Tech Support Nightmare.

I purchased an Alienware Aurora which arrived back in the beginning of February.  The computer began randomly rebooting from day one.  It could be during browsing, it could happen during gaming, it was completely random.  I ran all the standard tests.  Memtest86 For 48 hours with no errors, Prime95 small FFT test for 10 hours with no errors.   I contacted Alienware support and they somehow determined it was my video card.  They shipped me out a new 5770, and I replaced the video card. 

I started getting random lockup's with the new video card, and an occasional reboot.  The hard lockups could happen at any time, while booting the computer, trying to log out, gaming, browsing etc.  I contacted Alienware again, and they sent a tech to replace the motherboard and video card this time.  Well, I'm still getting random lockup's and reboots now.  I ran Prime95 large FFT test, and tried to allow it to run while I slept, when I woke up the next morning, the PC had rebooted, I assume, perhaps the CPU had gotten too hot.  I've run all the built in diagnostics for hard disk, etc, and everything always passes.  I'm kind of at my wit's end.  I've had the PC for not even two months yet, and I am afraid to install any programs, or pic/video, because I am afraid I'm going to have to send it back in.  I spend the vast majority of my time running tests, not enjoying the PC that I paid so much money for.

I have spoken to so many tech's and none of them can figure out what the issue is.  I'm really starting to regret this purchase.  I also upgraded my Dell local datasafe 2.0 and when I put in my validation key, all was working fine.  Dell then suggested I upgrade the software from the downloads and drivers section of their website, so I did so, and when I went to run Dell datasafe, it said I need to put my validation key in again.  Well, its a one time use key, and says invalid now.  I've literally spent 6 hours on the phone getting bounced around from department to department just trying to get a new validation key, with no luck.  So I'm also out 40 bucks on the datasafe. 

My whole experience with Alienware/Dell has been very trying, and taxing.  It feels like I've spent more hours trying to get this PC to work, and get the datasafe features that I paid for, then I have enjoying what it supposed to be a very nice, high end PC.

Any suggestions from a Dell rep or someone with a similar experience would be greatly appreciated, as I said, I'm really at my wit's end, and I'm tired of paying for a product that I cannot use.

Thanks,

Zeph

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 30th, 2010 11:00

If you have previously registered your product and activated your account, you can browse to http://www.delldatasafe.com, log into your account, and download the software. Check your private message.

11 Posts

March 30th, 2010 12:00

Chris,

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm following the instructions in the PM, and I'll give an update as soon as I can get things tested.  When I go to the datasafe site, I can't log in, even though I'm using the email and password that is in my emails from when I upgraded.  I'm not sure why it wont let me log in, its been very frustrating, as I want the local backup upgrade, but I simply can't use it. Thanks again for your fast reply.

Zeph

11 Posts

March 30th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

I've been reluctant to re-install windows, etc, but if the problems persist then I'm going to have to give it a shot.  I did restore back to the day I got the machine, but that hasn't resolved the issue.  I'm hoping a fresh install will be a last resort.  I have spent so much time trying to get this machine in working order, and I don't want to have to spend another full day installing the OS again, and then reading forums on how to install drivers in the appropriate order.   I guess I have to do, what I have to do, though.

Cheers,

Zeph

39 Posts

March 30th, 2010 13:00

I hate to hear you are having problems dude - that sucks

I don't want to step on anyone toes, and I am sure you have probably done this anyway - but try re-installing windows. Use system restore all the way back to the day you got the PC if possible, (especially if you downloaded any driver updates prior to your issues). If this does not work try the nuclear option and re-install windows from stratch, (check out the Alienware knowledgebase for help with re-installing the drivers in the correct order.

Good luck!

39 Posts

March 30th, 2010 18:00

Zeph - I feel your pain

If system restore back to the first day did not work then the nuclear option is your only choice, but maybe it won't be as successful as we could hope. I know from hard experience that some problems are just hard to find, a dry solder joint on a USART chip once cost me 2 weeks of work.

Goodluck - and remember, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger!

133 Posts

March 30th, 2010 19:00

After about three weeks of very intensive discussion (online chat and phone) with Dell tech I finally solved a problem. The problem was not related to what you describe, but, like you, it cost me a lot of very valuable time and wasted effort. After changing out the motherboard and C-drive the problem was still there and I was offered a chanced to get a NEW computer. As it turned out, the problem was solved and now I'm happy with the computer as it is. As I understand it, if Dell can not "fix" the problem within the first three months of you ownership they will send a NEW computern as a replacement.  My thought is that you should insist on that. Hope this helps. 

BTW, I'm very happy with Dell support -- suggest you try the online chat service.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2010 12:00

Mind explaining what they found your problem to be and how they fixed it?  I currently have an aurora on the way with the same video card.

I'm glad they finally resolved your issue.  My experience with customer support has been fantastic thus far and have nothing but great things to say. 

I actually seem to have made friends with the rep I spoke with and he ended up giving me his personal business line extension and his personal business email address and told me to keep in contact throughout the process to ensure my satisfaction.

No Events found!