Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 20th, 2017 16:00

Temperature too high?

Hello,

So I tested my freshly arrive Alienware today on Wither 3, on Ultra settings.
It seemts that my core temperatures are too high (CPU). Should I contact Dell Support?

Thanks!

David

1 Attachment

March 20th, 2017 18:00

Since you're showing a screenshot of a 6700HQ, i'll assume you're talking about some kind of AW laptop...

Depending on which model though, while yes those temps are high, they're not unheard of for what can be considered acceptable...

100 degrees is the thermal limit IIRC, so it's not a "defect" in the strictest sense of the word (i.e. what tech support will likely say), but your laptop will be happier & live longer if you find a way to mange this better yourself.

The easiest to start with is finding a way to position it for best airflow. (put something non-blocking under the back to prop it up slightly)

If you're planning on playing the heck out of games, you're best bet is probably just looking into laptop coolers.

There's always the Repasting option of course. With a quality paste temps absolutely improve, but this isn't for the novice. Temps do go from ~95->~82 though. Obviously there's warranty concerns here as well though.

But no, mid-90's isn't strictly a full-on defect it seems... (reddit has a ~200 comment long thread on core temps if you want to google)

March 20th, 2017 21:00

Hello, just a nonrelevant question. How long does it take from order confirmation to delivery for your laptop? Thank you! 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2017 22:00

Where is the Fan data in HW-Monitor?

In Command Center Thermals on my Aurora desktops, I switch from Auto to Manual, then setup a nice Curve.

14 Posts

March 21st, 2017 06:00

Sorry for not mentioning. Yes it is AW laptop, R4 17. 

And I really dont know why my HW Monitor does not display Fan speeds, on my desktop it id, but here it wont.

Do I need to set settings to High Performance, to get better temperatures?
Also, do you perhaps recommend disabling my integrated graphics? So GTX1070 will always be on and ready?

Thank you!

14 Posts

That is what I was searching for -  I dont know why I dont have Fan data in my HW Monitor. Should I try reinstalling? Or is it something wrong with my fans? I do hear them blow though.

14 Posts

In my country Dell re-sellers had this one on stock, so it was basically 1 day within order.

No Events found!