Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2015 21:00

Transferring Windows 8.1 OS from HDD to SSD on Laptop (both drives built-in)

Hi, I have an Alienware 14 laptop, I have been wanting to transfer/copy/move my current OS (Windows 8.1) from my HDD (1TB) to my SSD (7.3GB). I have tried many of the methods I've seen online in other forums, I have restored my computer each time i between methods, when they fail. I have yet to find a successful way to do this... I have tried the following:

- Switched boot from RAID to AHCI
- Switched into Legacy prioritizing booting from a USB Device and tried to run both AlienRespawn and Windows 8.1 OS (from Microsofts website), on two separate occasions, on two separate USB sticks (both over 15GB storage).

The result of AlienRespawn was that simply did a recovery of my HDD drive, and my OS stayed where it was, nothing changed with my SSD. That being said, there is no selection in my BOOT menu to choose which drive I want to boot, for that, I assume I have to unplug my HDD so that it my laptop auto picks to run using the SSD.

The result of running the USB with Microsoft 8.1 OS is that it said some sort of error, I searched the error up online, it said to reformat the USB stick, and drop the OS back onto it, and try again. I did that twice, and both times uncovered the same result (same error message).

I also tried cloning my HDD to my SSD using EaseUS, that put my documents and files onto my SSD drive, but my OS was still being run on the HDD.

I cloned the partitions using Partition Master, with negative results, along with using Tuxboot and Clonezilla combo to try and boot my laptop using Clonezilla, but on boot it just asked me to remove any USB devices that didn't have an operating system on them (I only had the one USB stick in)

I also tried a few different USB sticks (I went out and bought three to try).

The last and most recent method I attempted was using DiskPart. I executed what it said on numerous different forums/sites, which involved cleaning/selecting/activating Disk 0 or whichever Disk my SSD was located on. But again, no positive result.

I'm getting desperate, I just want to run my laptops OS on my SSD, is it really that difficult, or am I just using the wrong methods and/or taking the wrong steps?

If anyone can help with a step by step guide that has worked for them, please enlighten me!!!

Thanks a lot.

9 Posts

October 18th, 2015 16:00

I did a lot of research ahead of time, and this program kept coming up as the easiest, cleanest way to move the OS, according to folks on these and other forums.

9 Posts

October 18th, 2015 11:00

I used Paragon Migrate to ssd software to move my OS onto a SSD.  It costs about $20, but it was money well spent.  Very easy to use.  

3 Posts

October 18th, 2015 13:00

Okay, I have heard of it, so I will look into it... Did you use Paragon Migrate as a last resort because you couldn't do the OS transfer initially? Or did you use it because you thought it was the easiest way? Thanks a lot for your reply!

18 Posts

October 20th, 2015 10:00

I used Macrium Reflect when I upgraded my SSD, it's free and works great.

No Events found!