Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2015 16:00

Triple 1TB HD RAID0 Configuration for Alienware 17 R1

Would like any advice on how to set up a triple Hard Drive RAID 0 Configuration...would like to have a 3TB monster to store all my games and media.  Any advice on this would be great considering that I have been disavowed on Dell Chat...what a gyp!  I have 3 identical Seagate 1TB hybrid 2.5 SATA drives and a Windows 8 Pro Recovery disc with an external Blu-ray drive...keep getting fatal errors halfway through installation and reverts back to original installation...wow.

October 25th, 2015 16:00

Miss the old Alienware...was just as frustrating but a lot more helpful.

October 25th, 2015 20:00

I have a 2x1tb RAID 0 config with Samsung 850EVO on AW18 and thought that was overkill.  1 in the mSATA one in the 2.5 caddy.  I'm not sure how to get windows to support more than 2 TB on a single volume.  I guess you would have to partition the volume and recombine it somehow.

If I were to add a third drive, I would probably use it as a separate volume for quick backup, recovery and other storage in case the Raid 0 volume fails.  The second drive has almost doubled my speed ~1,100Mb/s sequential read/write.  I think that in adding a third drive in the array you may see diminishing returns (perhaps 1,300Mb/s max).  The Samsung Magician maintenance software no longer recognizes my drives operating under Intel's RAID controller.

No Events found!