Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 27th, 2017 03:00

Unable to update BIOS!

Getting an "Error: Unable to load driver" with any bios installation file that I've tried so far (currently installed up to the latest one). AW17 R4. Please help!

1 Attachment

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 27th, 2017 12:00

Be sure that downloaded file passes MD5/SHA1 check.

Is machine is UEFI mode?

Maybe try from outside Windows.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check this. 

9 Posts

It's completely stock. Secure boot and UEFI. I wanted to try from outside Windows but it doesn't mention anywhere if it'll affect the installation or anything else. Plus I can't find the guide to create the bootable USB (I didn't search hard enough yet though). And the current BIOS file was what worked last time, that's giving the same error, so yea I'm pretty sure it's not the files. I'm trying 3 different versions (not older versions, current and newer). I'm open to this option though, just need confirmation and some guidance probably.

9 Posts

Done, thanks! 

August 28th, 2017 15:00

I facing the same issue with the same model can please provide the resolution?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 28th, 2017 16:00

The link and notes are here:

Alienware Desktop - General Hardware Troubleshooting 

If you do find-out how to do it outside Windows, you will likely have to temporarily disable SecureBoot to get the BIOS flash-drive to boot.

763 Posts

August 29th, 2017 09:00

Do as Tesla1856‌ suggested. Go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot first. Right-click the desktop executable and try Run as Administrator. Unless you have a special reason to need it, you can leave Secure Boot disabled. I disable that on all of my systems. It's more of a individual preference than a necessity. I find it to be more of an impediment than a virtue.

9 Posts

August 31st, 2017 13:00

Thanks for that but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

9 Posts

September 1st, 2017 00:00

Okay guys, thanks for all the suggestions but I managed to update the BIOS finally. Not sure if the bootable USB has anything to do with it but here's what I did (you can probably try with just a normal USB drive before trying the bootable thing):

1. Created a bootable USB stick using FreeDOS and transferred whatever BIOS installers I had with me.

2. Restart

3. Hit F12 for Boot Options

4. Choose "Flash BIOS Upgrade" option in the Boot Options (think it was the last option). (Don't know how I missed it the first couple of times)

5. Choose between the choice of drives till your USB shows up and will show a list of only your BIOS installers (it does not show any other type of files).

6. Choose the correct one and Flash Upgrade and you're done!

9 Posts

September 1st, 2017 00:00

Your's is an R3 but check with the solution I've provided and let me know if it works.

No Events found!