Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2014 07:00

Unique problem with intermittent wifi on alienware m17x with qualcomm killer wireless

Hi, I have a alienware M17x with windows 8.1 and qualcomm killer wireless. I have a severe problem with intermittent wifi, which shows up when i use programs like skype, steam, multiplayer-games, etc.

Even though the wifi is connected, the connection will suddenly stop working sometimes, mostly when i'm using the above mentioned apps. (if i try to load a webpage during this time, the page gets stuck on "resolving host"). Weird thing is, if i disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network, the internet starts working immediately. Or i can wait a few mins and the connection gets restored automatically. This is not a problem with the network, because i've had this problem on innumerable wifi networks i've worked on, and all my other devices work just fine at the same time my laptop stops working.

Also, this problem only happens on wifi, if i use a cable connection, this never happens. (it is not even a case of the wifi signal strength, as this happens even when i'm sitting right next to wifi router, and the wifi icon in the notification area is showing full signal).

Over the last few months, i've tried various possible solutions, but none of them have solved this issue:

-Updating to windows 8.1

-Updating qualcomm network drivers

-Shutting down various applications which i thought might've been causing the issue

-Uninstalling different applications completely

-Shutting down all antivirus programs

Still after all these steps, the problem persists. It wouldn't be such a big problem, as the loss of connectivity isn't permanent, but this makes multiplayer games completely unplayable on my alienware machine. :(

Just today i tried running the AlienAutopsy test for my Killer Wireless-N 1103 Network Adapter multiple times, and each time the "Data transfer Verification test" failed because of no connectivity (all other tests passed just fine, only this one test failed all 6 times). I thought this might be related, and gave me some hope that i might be able to zero in on the cause of this unique problem. Therefore, i am posting here. If anybody can help me, it would be very much appreciated!

7 Posts

July 13th, 2014 03:00

I've changed my wireless router etc and still had the same issue.

i have however just formatted and installed Windows 7, so far so good I haven't had an issue, so maybe it is a Windows 8 problem, although I only put 7 back on last night, so not had long to test.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 07:00

Simple to solve the problem.
You just need to upgrade/downgrade your BIOS version to A12.

And all problem will disappear 

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 08:00

Have you tried to upgrade/downgrade your bios version to A12

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 10:00

already upgraded to A12 but actually problem has disappeared before I upgraded to a12 so don't know if this is because of I replaced my wireless router or because other windows updates helped to rid off this issue anyway happy now no more dropping wireless connection

July 29th, 2014 21:00

Hi guys!

I've been searching for a solution to this issue and I tried everything listed so far, updated BIOs, etc, and I've only found one thing that seems to have worked so far...

The problem SEEMS to be with the Killer Network Manager application that comes with the laptop.  I went to this site:

http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

Downloaded the newer version (in my case, the 64 bit version) of the Killer Network Suite (Look under the "Killer™ e2200, Wireless-N 1102, 1103 and 1202" section)

I uninstalled the Qualcomm Killer Network program (NOT the driver, just this program!) and installed the new program instead.

So far......no internet drops and I've been torrenting like mad just to test it.

I really hope this helps!!

July 30th, 2014 19:00

OK, I spoke too soon :-( 

Worked like a champ last night, but now back to the same in-and-out garbage when I try to update games  via Steam or use any significant bandwith.

Back to the drawing board, I suppose...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2014 20:00

DasBlueEyedDevil,

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance

7853.maxiumperformanceonbattery.jpg

Rick

July 31st, 2014 05:00

Yeah I tried all of that already.  It is very obvious to me that it has a to do with bandwith usage and is not a matter of the WiFi card shutting off.  The only thing I've found that curbs the issue slightly is to lower the upload/download speed in the Killer Network Manager and enable the bandwith control.

Even that fix is sporadic.  This WiFi card just sucks, apparently.

Thanks for trying to help though :-)

2 Posts

September 7th, 2014 11:00

I experienced the same issue with my brand new Alienware 17 w/ Windows 8.1.

The solution that appears to have fixed my problem was to disable WMM. Go to Network Connections -> Right-Click on the Wi-Fi Adapter -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced Tab -> WMM (disable)

Hope this helps.

September 7th, 2014 18:00

Regrettably, I don't even see a reference to WMM in my settings.  The closest related settings are already disabled.  Glad it fixed your problem, sad it can't fix mine lol.

Thanks for the info though!

2 Posts

September 8th, 2014 00:00

Hi Dasblueeyeddevil,

What is your wifi network adapter's description? In my case I got 2 net adapters (screenshot hereunder) and the one for wireless is 'Broadcom 802.11ac'. If you got a similar configuration, try searching for the WMM setting in the Broadcom adapter.

5670.3513.Capture.JPG

September 8th, 2014 01:00

I have had a similar issue since I bought the computer a few months ago. Its like, I can be online and then click a link and then get an error saying the server could not be reached or that the page can not be displayed. But it still shows that I have an internet connection. It just happened and I am watching something on Netflix, Netflix did not mess up so i know it is not my internet connnection. I ran the troubleshooting thing and it keeps saying that the DNS server would not connect. Its getting ridiculous.

September 8th, 2014 17:00

6266.4278.network.jpg

This would be my network adapter.  

2860.network options.jpg

Which apparently doesn't have any WMM options to speak of....

I spoke with the manufacturer about it, who of course gave the usual answer "known issue that we cannot recreate...GOOD LUCK!"  so I'm at a loss at this point.

I do thank you for your effort and willingness to help :-)

7 Posts

September 9th, 2014 04:00

Ok Guys

I assume all you have  ALIENWARE 17X ( which issued Q3 last year ) wireless connection problem was my headache as well I all done what been suggested only the solution was to uninstall the killernetwork driver( x86 or x64) and install the Killer™ e2200, Wireless-N 1102, 1103 and 1202 located at http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/  this solved my never ending connection issue

September 11th, 2014 16:00

Did that myself, actually, a little further up this thread.  It fixed my trouble for about a week lol.

I've given up and started using a long Ethernet cable until I can buy a different WiFi card

No Events found!