Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2012 21:00

Unstable Alienware Aurora-R4

Hello people

I bought an Alienware Aurora-R4 two month ago an everything was running fine until two night ago.

The problem is that the computer seems to freeze completetly and does not answer to any input. Screen stay's still (displaying the image at the moment of the freeze), keyboard seem's jammed and mouse does not answer.

There's been no new software installed on my computer, except Diablo 3 a month ago, and my computer is fairly protected behind antivirus (Mccaffe...I know it's not the best, but still).

From windows logs: nothing. I have no special logs at the moment or right before the crash. Only error log appearing are the one created at the reboot, stating that the computer shutted down unexpectectly (No kidding, I have to do a cold reboot every time).

Does anyone experiencing the same issue, and if so, any recommandation on how to solve the problem?

Thank you :-)

Loïc Lavoie

4 Posts

June 5th, 2012 21:00

I really want to avoid that since I work from my computer (programmer).

So I'll keep that has a last solution.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 6th, 2012 11:00

loiclavoie,

So you left it in this frozen state or have you done further troubleshooting?

4 Posts

I did run all the Dell scan software (stress test and diagnosis utility), unfortunately with no result. Every test seem's to be a success and the freeze happen on random time.

I would have suspect bad overclock (usually leading to unstability), but this computer is not overclocked.

So I'm stumped right now.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

loiclavoie

Best forum to post this in, is the Alienware Owners Club HERE.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 6th, 2012 13:00

Try installing latest drivers:

en.community.dell.com/.../20118471.aspx

See above thread.

1 Message

June 6th, 2012 20:00

I am having the exact same problem but I don't know what to do about it. Random freezes etc, no logs, all tests run and say OK. Wish I knew what to do

Millie

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 6th, 2012 21:00

I am having the exact same problem but I don't know what to do about it. Random freezes etc, no logs, all tests run and say OK. Wish I knew what to do

Millie

Aurora R3 or R4? What processor? What video card? Full specs would be nice if you want help.

Read this thread if you have nVidia video card (and install those drivers per. instructions).

Are you under warranty?

12 Posts

June 7th, 2012 18:00

If you have a Radeon HD 7xxx series video card, try the Beta drivers.. there are issues with the current drivers that cause random lockups with certain games.

4 Posts

June 7th, 2012 21:00

All right...

So I've tried updating my drivers...got worse! Now instead of freezing, I have blue screen....

I'm two step away from sending them back the computer and never deal with them again....

Had 15 crash in two days.

For the record, I have an Alienware Aurora-R4 with Dual 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555.

Everywhere I read that driver for this card is unstable and all and I would really want a link on a stable driver compatible with this card (Please avoid sending me again a link to another 50 convo thread, it's messy and unreliable).

Thank you

24 Posts

June 8th, 2012 06:00

I had similar problems to this and somewhere on here there is a thread that links this type of problem to the ram installed. I changed mine for a different brand and the problems stopped, added one stick back in and the problems came back.

It might be to do with the brand used. On the whole since that was done the PC has been stable.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 8th, 2012 18:00

Please avoid sending me again a link to another 50 convo thread, it's messy and unreliable.

I don't want to take a chance in sending you another "upsetting" link ...

You should probably call Tech Support and try your luck with them.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 8th, 2012 20:00

I had similar problems to this and somewhere on here there is a thread that links this type of problem to the ram installed. I changed mine for a different brand and the problems stopped, added one stick back in and the problems came back.

It might be to do with the brand used. On the whole since that was done the PC has been stable.

He has an Aurora R-4 ... different machine.

Looks like you have an Aurora R-3. Yes, the R-3 was very sensitive to RAM configs (make, size, speed ... you name it). I have NOT seen reports of similar problems with the R4. Glad to hear you got yours stable.

34 Posts

June 9th, 2012 17:00

If it's GPU related, you would like to try last drivers from nVidia, not Dell's ones which are outdated and gave a lot of users various problems.

It's the 301.42 wql, look for it on nvidia.com I would give you the link but the site automatically leads me to the spanish driver support.

Good luck.

Also you may want to check temps, I personally use RealTemp, it allows you to monitor gpu and cpu temps, max temps, etc.

12 Posts

July 11th, 2012 12:00

We bought two of these computers (my wife and I). Both have this same problem. It is not software related. I have read it has to do with the overclocking.

1 Message

July 15th, 2012 14:00

My r4 with a GeForce 555sli will not start up with the display working
No Events found!