Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2016 06:00

Upgrade DVD to Blu Ray

Has anyone upgraded their DVD to Blu Ray in their Area 51 R2.

If so, what Blu Ray did you install.

Appreciate any input.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

July 31st, 2016 22:00

Not so fast, he said R2.

I found this, bottom of page 1 @KPooh >< My Experience with 51 R2 (Late 2014): Compatibilities, Damages, and Other Issues:

"Update .. From the packing list from my Area 51 R2, I have deduced that the optical drive is a 9.5 mm ("ultra slim", I think) slot loading drive.  These drives are the ones on a Mac Book Pro, and while they have been seen on Windows laptops, they are few and far between. Lets hope that Dell updates the documentation/sales pitch for the R2 Area 51. A blu-ray burner with this form factor is the UJ-267 (Panasonic).

The 9.5 mm drives have the same power/signal connectors as the more numerous 12.7 mm "Slim" drives but do not have a front bezel, thus requiring the chassis to have a hole for the slot and a button that will be used to eject media on command.  That is consistent with the R2 Area 51.  They are also 3.7 mm less tall than the "slim drives".

or chime in & ask Mark if his ordered type fit, if he still frequents the forum or receives upd8s IDK:

20150529113035440 - Copy.jpg

Capture46.JPG

A LEAD? http://www.bluraysupplier.com/news/Dell-Alienware-Area-51-R2-desktop-Blu-ray-burners.html

57 Posts

July 31st, 2016 21:00

Hello,

Any 5.25" Blu-Ray player would work including the one below.  Look for a product with good reviews and you should be fine.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Follow a guide online for replacing the one you have now.  (Basically its just going to be removing the current one and putting this one in its spot, screws and all)

Also, I should point out you might not need to install the software that comes with it.  The drivers should be downloaded by your Microsoft OS and the software on the DVD is probably more so bloatware.  

Let us know what you pick and how it works!

372 Posts

August 1st, 2016 08:00

Be careful too, the first player I was directed to did not fit.  Do a search on the forum, but I believe the UJ267 from China is the only one that works.  

166 Posts

August 1st, 2016 10:00

Oops,

Thank you also to Cass-Olé.

166 Posts

Thanks Mark,

Minneapolis, eh?

I live in Thunder Bay, I have put in a few offers on e-Bay for a UJ267.

Just waiting to hear back.

I have found a couple in the US and hope to get one of them due to the much quicker shipping.

Thanks again,

Ken

5 Posts

I did the upgrade to the UJ267 when I got my R2. Works perfectly. Super easy install as well.

No Events found!