Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2011 15:00

Upgrading Area 51 and have a few questions

After running into too many issues when replacing my original damaged Alienware MOBO, I have decided to just install the J560M board and I purchased a new i7 970 to go with it and hopefully the system should come together a bit more easily now.  My questions are:

1.  Once reinstalling this new MOBO, and doing a clean install of Windows, should I then go to the Dell support page and install all updates for the ALX or the regular Area 51 as the system is not originally an ALX, but I'm not sure if the regular version comes with the same board / CPU option?

2.  Should I then install Command Center Desktop or just the regular Command Center now that all hardware should be supported by Dell?

3.  With this new MOBO, can I still use the RipjawsX DDR3 RAM, or do I have to get something else?  I have no experience with tri-chan memory.

4.  Will the liquid cooling that came with the original PC still fit on this new MOBO?

5.  Is there anything else I need to know before installing everything or anything else to consider that I'm leaving out (besides eventually moving to an SSD)?

Thanks for all of your help guys, I appreciate it and I'm looking forward to using an actual Alienware rather than what I had thrown together...

Alienware Area-51 case
Alienware J560M (replaced the original Gigabyte mobo -damaged, then my ASRock z68 Extreme4)
i7 970 (replaced original Core 2 Quad and then replaced my i5 2500K)
G. Skill RipjawsX 4Gx2
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB (1.TB) /32MB cache hard drive
POWER SUPPLY Alienware 1100Watt Multi-GPU Approved
ATI Radeon HD 5870
2x  Optical Lite-On 24X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)
Win7 home premium 64-bit

38 Posts

August 30th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the quick response.  This is the same case as the current, but probably from back in late 2009.  It does not have the motorized front panel, but otherwise same as the newer ones.  I still have the original cooler and back plate, so hopefully it'll fit..  time will tell I guess.  I was using that memory in dual channel 4GB x 2, but I'll have to read to see if the new mobo can support it and maybe a 3rd for 12GB in tri-chan?  I'll update how it all goes, as I'm sure I'll run into something especially with CC, but thanks again and I hope that your Area 51 comes back to life soon as it sounds like you had a major issue..

2.4K Posts

If you are going to the same CPU socket as before then the cooler will work,well it should anyway. Stuff like this is hard to tell when dealing with OEM stuff. You never know for sure untill you try it.

Thanks,yeah it's been an event..thats for sure. I hope to have it up and running soon.

2.4K Posts

It sounds like this is the older Area 51 one so my info my not be correct for you. Anyway...here goes.

1) ALX and none ALX systems are the same. The only diff is the powered DVD door. Only Dell drivers you need to DL are the ones for Dell hardware.

2) You will use the Command Center and not the Command Center Desktop

3) It depends on what type of memory you have the the type supported with the new mobo. Check the specs on both to find out.

4) It may fit. It all depends if the holes line up. This is a guess but I think it is going to be the same. What you may need is the rear bracket for it to screw into. If you had bought an off the shelf cooler it would come with different brackets for use with different boards. You may be able to get one from Asetek who makes it or even one from the Corsair H50 which is also the same cooler. You may also be able to rig something for it to screw into. I don't think it would be to hard to do. You could also try removing the backplate off the old board to use with the new one.

5) Take your time and remember where everything goes. Take a pic before you take it apart to help you put it back together.

No Events found!