Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 11:00

Upgrading Bios for CPU upgrade (X51)

Hello,

I have just purchased an i7 - 3770 3.4gh cpu that I'd like to swap in for my i5 - 2320.  I understand that in doing so I will need to update BIOS to accommodate the new IVY Bridge.

This is for an X51

How do I go about doing this?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit:  I found this link http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=D9NT1 but which version do i need?

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 15th, 2013 12:00

Hi Mikeb619,

Good to catch hold of you once again! Hope you are doing good. 

Yes you are right. We need to update the BIOS to the latest version before we make any hardware changes to the computer. Updating the BIOS is quite simple, not that hard. Click here to download the latest BIOS i.e. A13 for your Alienware X51. The link that you put up has BIOS version A12.

To update the BIOS:

1. Close all the applications running in the background
  2. Unplug all the peripherals connected to the computer
  3. Run the BIOS update file
  4. Wait and Watch BIOS getting updated!

Note : Do not unplug the adapter or shut the computer down manually. The computer might restart couple of times and then boot into windows automatically.

Thats it! The BIOS update process is done! Now you can continue to upgrade your machine with Core i7 Processor. Good Luck! 

Feel free to reach out if you need any help!

6 Posts

August 15th, 2013 12:00

Back to the rescue I see!  I actually figured it out before checking back but glad it was right.  I'm up to version A13 so now I should just have to pop it open and put in the new CPU.  Then turn it on and be good to go right?  It gets to my house sometime today!  Crazy how the i7-3770 actually uses less power than the i5-2320.

As for the GPU I got I'm going to install that in a few days because I'm still waiting on the 330W power supply.  I went with an EVGA GTX670 FTW sig 2 series for the GPU.  It seemed about .5 inches shorter and used less power than some of the other 670's I saw.  A few people have said the fans would be blowing right on some components, but don't they pull in and then out the back by the display ports?

Anyway, thank you for your help!  

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 15th, 2013 13:00

Hi Mikeb619,

You are welcome and yes you can go ahead and install the GPU later, that's completely fine.

As far as the instructions on how to install a new CPU is concerned, watch this video by clicking here. After the CPU is installed, simply power on the computer. That's all.

Hope this will be helpful.

245 Posts

August 15th, 2013 13:00

Note: FTW cards typically pull alot more power than a standard reference GTX670s so YMMV, and yes make sure it pulls air from inside the chassis and dumps it out the back,

No Events found!