Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 25th, 2017 07:00

Upgrading Processor Issue on Aurora ALX 2009

Hello,

I have an alienware aurora ALX 2009.  16gb of RAM, X58 motherboard, BIOS version A04, with an Intel i7 920 processor.

I recently purchased an I7 980 which appears to be compatible with this motherboard.

After installing the new processor, the pc turns on, i hear the fan run and then 4 beeps, then it goes into the same cycle.

I put back my I7 920 and it boots back up perfectly fine.

Is this a problem with my BIOS not recognizing the new processor?  How can I fix this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 25th, 2017 12:00

4 beeps is a possible memory issue. It is possible if you flash to A08 the Bios will revert to all default values, any memory overclock would be nullified, memory runs at base speed, probable 'compatibility' with new CPU if that was what the beeps were for, post your findings after A08

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 25th, 2017 12:00

Bios issue, visit Dell FTP, grab A08 A09 A10 A11. Normally you install all 4 in series, one after the other. Flashing your Bios is a risky issue, flash at your own risk: http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-aurora.html

Bootable thumb drives in DOS mode is 'safest' method

A08 has 980x support: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-aurora&driverId=2NM6V

A09 'improves' microcode for 980x

If you just flashed A08 today, and it updates successfully, what you have there might then boot up ... attempt 9/10/11 later at own risk

October 26th, 2017 17:00

Thank you!!! So I upgraded to a08 and now my bios recognizes the new CPU. Is it  really worth updating to a11 since things are working well in a08?  

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 26th, 2017 22:00

it's a krapshoot when updating the firmware on these Alienboards ... booting into a bootable USB drive is the best method / launching it from your Windows desktop is the riskier method, so they say. Were it me, I'd give A08 a spin for a while, browse the fixes in 9 10 11, and when curiosity killed me or my board, I'd load up my usb drive with 11 (skip 9 and 10), flash it, see what's what. I say that since my Area-51 board (with 975x) I jumped from A06 direct to A11 cause that's how we roll here. Others might do 10 1st (since it's close enough to 8). Do what u think's best, new / used motherboards are found on eBay ... ... ... :/

A09 Fixes & Enhancements

1. Updated CPU microcode for i7-980X processor
2. Enhancements for USB 3.0 cards
3. Fixed issue where Side LEDs may be off after an AC recovery

A10 Fixes & Enhancements

1. Enhanced overclocking ability with some processors

A11 Fixes & Enhancements

1. Added BIOS recovery functionality
2. Improved XMP experience including addition of XMP Profile 2 access
3. Changed 2x5 USB header behavior to allow all USB ports to have wake capabilities
No Events found!