Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 4th, 2017 14:00

Vanishing SD Card Reader after Windows 10 1703 - AW 18

Hello fellow Aliens, I have a question about Alienware 18's SD card reader.

So, as my system was damaged to due Windows 10 update, I reinstalled my system with SSDs in AHCI mode.

However, after the installation ends, the SD card vanished and is now undetectable by Windows 10 (Build 1703).

I have:

- Reinstalled official Realtek SD Card Reader (Alienware 18 driver; All versions).

- Used Realtek's driver from its website.

- Set Windows Installer Service to "ON" and initiated "Scan for Hardware Changes"

- Disabled and Enabled BIOS "Virtualization", "Safe Boot", "Secure Boot" and "USB Debug".

- Put in different SD cards with and without write protection.

- Updated Chipset drivers.

- Updated AHCI drivers.

- Updated Windows 10.

- Looked for missing cables (which makes no sense as I did not disturb the SD cables and ODD during SSD installation).

So, I have run out of ammos against this wacky missing SD card problem. Could any fellow Aliens help me? I need my SD card reader to download my photos from my Canon.

Thank you

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 5th, 2017 09:00

Hi Rhenium‌,

It seems that you have already tried all the possible troubleshooting, the only thing I can think of advising you, is to make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed. Also, to run all Windows updates. 

It should be a software problem since this started after a Windows update, so as last resource, you can retry another clean install. 

103 Posts

June 5th, 2017 12:00

Hi there, does the latest A12 BIOS have any significant improvements beside PCI link update?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 5th, 2017 13:00

Physically Unplug or at least disable SD-Card-Reader in BIOS.

Boot machine without it and remove anything related to it that might be left in Device Manager (In Portable Devices, Disk Drives, etc.)

Shut down

Reconnect or Enable in BIOS

Let it re-detect and PnP. Should load required drivers from local cache or from Windows update.

103 Posts

June 5th, 2017 14:00

I don't see any menu about disabling the SD card reader. Where could that be?

For the cable option, doesn't that mean I have to dismantle the ODD too?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 5th, 2017 22:00

I don't have those answers.

However, I did have something similar to this happen on my Win-7 to Win-10 in-place upgrade.
That is how I fixed it:

103 Posts

June 9th, 2017 20:00

I will look these.

No Events found!