Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2015 12:00

Virtual keyboard issue.

I just had an update for my alienware alpha. Now there is a virtual keyboard that pops up when im in desktop mode. How do I disable it? It is very annoying and in the way. It mainly happens when i try to type in the address bar of google chrome.

Edit: The only thing i've done so far in terms of ending the program is going into task manager and ending one of the HiveMinds. It stops it from happening till I restart.

August 7th, 2015 10:00

In Services I disabled "The HiveMind Interface Service" and it got rid of it

3566.Untitled.png

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 13:00

It is incredibly annoying. Also do you have a little icon in the upper right hand corner that does nothing and wont let you hit the RED X

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 6th, 2015 14:00

Hello, 

If you have Windows 8, follow the steps below.

• Press the Windows key + W
  • Type "services," and press Enter
  • Scroll down to "Touch screen keyboard and handwriting panel"
  • You can right click and select "Stop" or you can double-click and change it from "Automatic" startup to "Manual."

For Windows 7, click here to view an article that explains how to disable it. 

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 16:00

How to fix it in Windows 10?

3 Posts

August 6th, 2015 19:00

Rodrigo, that is how you disable the Windows virtual keyboard.  The one he is talking about appears to be a Alpha UI virtual keyboard.  It is EXTREMELY annoying and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it.  I use my desktop mode a great deal, and this awful virtual keyboard pops up anytime I move the cursor into a text field.  Please tell us how to disable it?

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 20:00

This isn't the onscreen keyboard he's talking about. With a new Alienware Alpha update that was released this morning, they added an onscreen keyboard that pops up whenever a text field is selected. It's not the Windows 8 one, because that's disabled. Any idea how to disable this one? Here's a picture of it: puu.sh/.../15e45d8a44.jpg

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 23:00

Any luck with this? Because it is really annoying and I've looked everywhere to try and remove this, to no avail.

29 Posts

August 7th, 2015 07:00

If you go into services and stop "Hivemind services" (pretty sure thats what it was called.. cant verify at the moment) that stops it from coming up. I have not done any testing to see if that will cause any problems after a reboot yet but if you're dying to get rid of that OSK, there you go.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

unfortunately that didn't solve my issue. thank you though.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

I just see an icon like the thumbstick of a joypad. No red x though.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 12:00

Hi All, 

We are looking in to this issue. As soon as we have an update, I will post it here. We appreciate your patience.  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 15:00

Hello All, 

For those of you using Windows 10, try going to SettingsTablet mode and turn off the tablet mode feature like it shows on the picture below. Please let us know if this works. 

1 Message

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Yeah having same problem, except that tablet mode has never been turned on for my pc. Stopping the hivemind service did the trick, but it feels more like a band-aid and not sure if it will be persistent through a reboot.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2015 10:00

Even if that does work, what about those of us on Windows 8?

August 8th, 2015 11:00

Try my method. It solved the problem for me

No Events found!