Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2014 18:00

Webcam/Microphone not working in Alienware 17 Laptop

Hi,

Recently I've had this issue with my webcam and microphone where they are not working at all. The webcam in not detected in the Device Manager (including when I click to show hidden devices) and cannot be pulled up in any video application on the computer. I've tried troubleshooting and updating the BIOS with no luck. 

The webcam is integrated into the laptop and is not something connected to a USB. I'm really frustrated with not being able to use it and I would appreciate any suggestions.

1.8K Posts

April 8th, 2014 15:00

Hi!

I recommend you try a System Restore using a restore point created before the problem started. This will tell us if it's a software (caused by settings, another driver, an update or other application confronting with webcam and microphone) or a hardware issue.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2014 18:00

I've looked into my system restore points and none of them are from before the problem started. In my device manager the drivers for the webcam don't even show up. I can't find the drivers for the webcam on the Alienware driver page for my laptop. Is there a place where I can download them?

1.8K Posts

April 10th, 2014 18:00

There's no specific driver for the microphone or webcam. Try to use AlienRespawn instead, this application will revert the computer back to factory settings.

No Events found!