Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2012 09:00

What Graphics cards are compatible with my Aurora desktop?

Hello everyone, let me apologise if I am asking a question that has been answered before but I always prefer to get an answer to my particular question. Now my problem is I am totally unsure what graphics cards are compatible with my machine, I know that since Alienware make their machines so excellently by ensuring that everything meshes perfectly I am worried that any new hardware may damage the machine ( as you can see I am a novice at all this) I was wondering if it is possible for me to upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 that came in the system to a new Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 and if so would it be fine with the system or would I run into problems adding a new component on my own ( though more likely getting an experience engineer to do it).

Thanks for any help you can give me

Conor Goulding (Ireland)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 6th, 2012 11:00

Do you know which Aurora you have (R1, R2) ? What wattage power supply? The R1/R2 came with either the 525w or 875w power supply. Both shipped with the GTX260 and both are validated with the Dell GR23P GeForce GTX460 P202N D12-U15 video card.

2.4K Posts

March 6th, 2012 11:00

You should be able to use it if your psu is strong enough. Could you post some of your system specs for us like the size of the PSU and what cpu you have? That would help us answer your question better.

March 6th, 2012 12:00

thanks for the speedy reply, now I think these are the details for the CPU but I am not sure where to find the PSU

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, i don't know where to find the Power Supply Unit data though.

35 Posts

Might be a long shot, but do you have your paperwork that got shipped with your computer? or perhaps an old email with your computer spec sheet listed? Go into your email and search for Dell and see what comes up.

I don't know off hand, any idea how I can tell

March 6th, 2012 13:00

I can't find my shipping documentation, I got this machine two years ago last November

actually how do I look at the power supply, it is quite boxed in it seems by the structure of the case

2.4K Posts

You may need to pull out the PSU and read whats on it then.

Okay I will do that when I shut down the machine tonight, but from what I have read it seems there is a confidence my machine can take the card if I get it form Dell

133 Posts

Check the power rating of your current card. For eg if the TDP (max power usage) of your current card is 210w than in theory it should not be a problem to install another card with the same or lesser requirements.

In fact newer cards are more power efficient and usually create less heat.

March 6th, 2012 14:00

How do I check the power level of my current card?

well that means the card is either 182-171 Watts and since it has been said my computer either has a 525w or 875w power supply unit then I should be safe right?

133 Posts

Google "GTX 260 specifications" or go to the official nvidia site which is geforce.com and search for your GTX 260 there. In the specs section it will tell you what the "TDP" is, like i said before you will be able to install any other gpu and uses the same or less power (and that fits in your case offcourse).

March 6th, 2012 15:00

Actually if you have a 875 watt PSU you can run just about anything.. However it's the length of the card that you will have problems with.. I have a ASUS 7950 Direct CU II TOP GPU which is 11 inches long.. The end of the card will touch touch the sata connectors.. In theory get a card that is less than 10 inches long.. To answer you question.. You can use the GTX 460's in slie.. My machine came with those,.. In fact I am selling my GTX 460's

35 Posts

March 6th, 2012 18:00

I forgot the most simple answer to this question. You obviously have a dell account your posting here, cant you just log into your account and click the "manage my products list" click on the computer and pull up its shipped spec sheet

No Events found!