Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2014 16:00

White screen Alienware 17

Hi!

Today I turned on my Alienware 17 laptop that I bought like 8 months ago. The screen was all white... And then, nothing happened... It stays white and does nothing... I tried to restart it a bunch of time but nothing seems to work...

If you guys could help me please it would make my year!

Thanks a lot,

Josef76

1.8K Posts

July 28th, 2014 10:00

Hi!

Try connecting an external monitor and check if you get display. If you do, the issue is probably related to the LCD.

Let me know how it goes!

2 Posts

August 29th, 2014 16:00

I have the same laptop I purchased in April 2014.  I was just sitting here watching a video and the screen went white.  Is there a fix to this?

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

September 1st, 2014 05:00

There is a fix to everything. In your particular case, 90% of the time a white screen on a laptop is caused by a bad contact between the screen and the connector on the back of it. Take the little rubber covers off of the screen bezel (that's the  frame around the front of the screen) with an exacto knife or a reasonable facsimile. Stick them to the frame so you can use them again later. Remove the small screws that were hidden by the rubber (squares or dots) covers.Once your are sure there are no more screws hidden on the front of the frame, pry the inside with your thumbs ubntil they start to "snap" loose. It's nerve wracking at first but the little bugger can take it. Once it's completely loose then manipulate it off of the machine. The screen has screws that hold it into the back frame. Take thos out till you can tilt the screen towards you. When you see the connection on the back (largest one-usually copper or gold colored and abuot an inch or so wide).that's the culprit! carefully get it in a position where you can pop it off and then place it back on snugly. There will be warnings about too much touching back there. Please HEED those! Reverse the steps and put it all back together. The final step is to press the bezel into place till it pops or snaps in. Should be no more white screen.

Charlie dominici

www.netlifeguards.com

• 

2.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 13:00

Is still white or are you able to get into windows at some point? 

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 15:00

The machine is still stuck in white screen.  Connecting an external monitor does no good no input goes to the external monitor.  Since the machine is still under warranty I called Alienware tech support.  They wanted me to send the machine back to them to repair which would take around two weeks.  I really don't like my machine being in other people's hands so I requested the parts be sent to a local technician for the repair.  Tech support sent a screen, video card, and a motherboard to the technician.  The technician is going to attempt the repair this Thursday.  Hopefully is able to repair the machine. 

1.8K Posts

September 9th, 2014 16:00

I have the same laptop I purchased in April 2014.  I was just sitting here watching a video and the screen went white.  Is there a fix to this?

Hi,

Try doing the same test with an external monitor, this will tell us if the LCD is faulty. If you also get the white screen on the external monitor it means the problem could be related to the video card.

Keep in mind that if the system is in warranty and there's a hardware problem, the replacement can be covered.

Let me know how it goes!

No Events found!