Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 9th, 2017 22:00

Why is my GPU running so hot?

So I just recently got an Aurora R6 and I have been running games on it the past few days. I have noticed that GPU temps are much higher than most numbers that are deemed "acceptable". Temps are consistently around 80 C when running Witcher maxed out. Same for Battlefield 4. Is this normal or not?

I have had my thermal controller set to Auto for the past couple of days, but I've attempted to set Manual cooling curves. I haven't had much luck, to be honest. The fans are really loud when I turn on the Manual curves and after I run a game for a bit the temperatures are maybe only 2 degrees C cooler, if that. I have tried fiddling with the Thermal Controller settings based on a couple of threads I have found, but that doesn't really make much difference either.

Can anyone help me out with this? I am worried that the GPU temps are going to be consistently too high and that I'll burn the GPU out.

Specs:

i7 7700k 4.2 ghz

850 watt PSU w/ liquid cooling

GTX 1080 Ti

16 GB RAM

June 10th, 2017 04:00

the Card is a Blower Style GPU Founders Edition, right? 80 °C for a GTX 1080TI is not Great, but not Fatal either. it's totaly fine, if you don't want to overclock the GPU. you should not worry about it. and if you still do, then you can Download MSI Afterburner and setup your own Fan Curve specific for the GPU Fan. just google MSI Afterburner Download.

if you have more Questions, go ahead.

June 10th, 2017 05:00

As far as I know it isn't a Founders Edition. Everything I've looked at while testing the PC indicates that it's just a reference GTX 1080 TI. 

I actually do have another question. When I take manual control of the fans and set up a curve that ramps the fans up, it sounds like the tower is going to lift off and go into orbit. When I leave it on Auto the machine is very quiet, but the temperatures are higher. On Auto they usually hover around 83 or so, and when I set the manual fan curves they usually sit around 79 or 80 C. That difference seems almost negligible to me. Why is that? You'd think with the fans running that much that the temperatures would be much lower.

I do have Afterburner already and I can try to set the GPU fan myself, but I wouldn't know how to best set the curve for that. I was just doing some fiddling with the case fans yesterday based on a few threads I found different forums, and the results were what I described in the paragraph above. So overall not too successful.

53 Posts

June 10th, 2017 10:00

Like CBL said, 80 °C is ok. NVIDIA lists 91 °C as "Maximum GPU Temperature" (scroll down to "Specs" and click on "View full specs"). And as you can see here, the card will hit a temperature limit (GPU will throttle down once over 84 °C).

As for the Witcher (part 3 I assume): this beast is a challenge for every GPU. If you are arround 80 °C while runnig it maxed out, I would say you are fine, because even your 1080 Ti will be at 100 % most of the time.

June 11th, 2017 04:00

1. the Reference Design is called Founders Edition these Days. the Card has a Vapor Chamber Cooler. it works with hot Air Pressure. the Temps for this Type of Card are Normal. Ambient Temperature matters aswell. your GPU Temp rises faster if you live in a hot Region for Example. infact you have some Room left before the Card begins to throttle (run with a lower Frequency). as Roladin already mentioned it happens when you reach 84 °C.

2. well yu have loud Fans. the higher the RPM (Rounds Per Minute) the louder it gets.
your Chasis Fans are responsible for Airflow inside the Case. they pull Fresh Air from the Outside of the Case and push the Hot Air generated around the GPU from the Inside of the Case. the GPU generates the Heat from the Inside of the Graphics Card. the hot Air should be pushed out of the GPU as fast as possible. thats what MSI Afterburner is good for.

3. the Auto Curve of the Graphics Card is pretty much balanced. Temperature vs Noise. at 80 °C the Fan spins at 60%. you will neet to create a more aggressive Curve. try to go with 1:1 Ratio. 50 °C = 50%, 60 °C = 60%.... 80 °C = 80%. WARNING! the GPU Fan can be very loud!

but to be honest, you're making yourself too much Trouble. leave everything at Auto and don't worry about it. thats what i do with my GPU. i have a Titan Xp and didn't touch anything. depends on the Ambient Temp i have similar Temps as you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 11th, 2017 12:00

Sounds fine to me. When stressed with Heaven or OCCT, my Dell GTX-1070 gets hotter than that.

While my CPU/GPU is slightly different ...
While running:
OCCT Power-Supply Test : i7-7700k = 70c max
and then
Heaven Benchmark: GTX-1070 = 83c max

These are the highest temps I can come up with for either chip.

Command Center Thermal Controller does not control GPU fan. However, I use steady uphill Manual-Curves for the case fans it does control. I tie the Front and Top fans to the "CPU Sensor" due to lack of a better way. All my fans get a bit louder, but sound fine while playing Fallout-4 with Ultra settings at 1440p.

I would have to see a pic of your Dell-OEM video card, but I think it might be a blower like this one:

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance | MSI USA 

My Specs:

Intel i7-7700k

850 watt PSU w/ liquid cooling

GTX 1070 (Dell OEM MSI-Aero clone)

16 GB RAM

No Events found!