Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2015 07:00

Windows 10 Upgrade Fails Aurora R4

I have attempted to upgrade my Aurora R4 system 6 times.  Each time the update fails after the system does a reboot.   I see the process loading files then it switches to the screen showing the alien head.  Below the head there is a series of spinning white dots.  After a few seconds the dots freeze and the upgrade process stops.  I have to restart and the system reboots back to Windows 7.

This is the error message I receive.

0x1900101-0x20017 The installation failed in Safe_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation.

I am using a ISO Image of Windows 10 to do the install.

My system is a SSD OS Drive (Liteonit Liteoni LCS-256 Model) with a secondary sata drive.  I disconnected the secondary drive just leaving the SSD containing the OS after reading this might be the issue.  Still no luck. 

I removed my Bitdefender virus software per recommendations.

Upgraded all drivers and chipsets from Dell.

Installed the latest video driver from nvidia.

Looking for any help in resolving this issue.

Thanks Mike

7 Posts

August 4th, 2015 10:00

I checked both of those settings and they are set as you indicated. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 4th, 2015 10:00

Hello, 

Check in the Bios (to access the Bios, tap the F2 button when you turn on the system) under the Boot section for an option called Secure Boot. If it is enabled, disable it. Also, look for the option called Boot Mode and set it to UEFI. After doing this, save the changes and restart the system. Try doing the upgrade to Windows 10 again using your ISO image. Let us know how it goes. 

7 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

I have tried several other things.  I replaced my SteelSeries Apex keyboard with a Zboard one that I had.  I don't have a standard keyboard to try.  I also downloaded the upgrade again and installed it on a new USB thumb drive.  Still using my logitech performance mx mouse. 

One thing I forgot to mention before was right after they keyboard lights flashed the system seemed to freeze.  The computer now slowly flashes amber to red then back to amber.  Should I just wait for a few hours to see if anything happens or is the system locked up?

7 Posts

August 5th, 2015 08:00

I have restored my system back to it's original state with a backup.  I guess windows 10 cannot be installed on my system until Dell figures out the proper procedures for doing this.

Recap: 

I assume that Windows 10 cannot be installed on a system containing a SSD Drive at this time.  I find this odd since a lot of systems come that way now to allow quick system boot ups.  There really is nothing special about my system other then me adding a new internal 3TB hd. I did this for the windows upgrade as a place to put the backups encase of issues.  The SSD Drive had approximately 40 GB free prior to the start of the upgrade process.  I tried upgrading with both the Nvidia drivers uninstalled and with the newest ones installed. 

After the initial upgrade failures I disconnected both the new hard drive and the 1TB drive leaving just the SSD Drive with the OS installed on it.  Still failed at the same location.  The system did not have Secure Boot set and the Boot Mode was set to UEFI.  I tried installing from both a DVD ISO Image and a Thumb Drive Image. 

The install goes fine until the reboot.  I see the screen show Loading Files,  the Alienware head shows on the screen and the little white balls start to circle around below the head.  The keyboard then flashes and the screen locks up.  The Alienware head on the chassie then switches slowly from amber to red and back again. 

In hindsight I probably should of waited a few months for things to settle down and give Dell a chance to work through upgrade issues involving systems already in the user base. 

August 6th, 2015 12:00

I had the same issue with Windows 8 and also windows 10, The only way around it is to physically turn off machine when the bios check comes up so the PC has a cold start. When the pc is rebooted something wrong in the Bios causes it to hang.

In short start install, Don't leave the PC and when it reboots and the bios check shows up hold the power key to shut down the machine and leave a few seconds. start PC up again and repeat until installation is complete.

You will find if you try to reboot the machine with windows 8 or 10 installed it will hang on start up and it will always require a cold start.

Hope this helps . I managed to install windows 8 and 10 using this procedure.

Regards

Paul

7 Posts

August 9th, 2015 09:00

I won't go through that type of hassle of having to cold start my workstation each time you need to reboot.  I suspect they need to update the BIOS to work properly with windows 10.  Lets face it.  The Aurora R4 units are not that old and there should be a proper upgrade path to Windows 10.   Lets just hope management decides that keeping their user base happy is important and promptly tackle this issue.  I have been a loyal DELL user for many years and hope to continue.

No Events found!