Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2015 20:00

Windows 10 on my Alienware Aoroura R4 ALX, bad idea / good idea?

I want to install Windows 10 on my R4 but do not want to lose all my ALX goodies, pros and cons comments wanted.

Alienware Aurora R4 ALX (Late 2011)

Samsung SSD 850

2 WD 1TD storage drives

Processor: Core I7 3820 @3.60GHz

16 GB Memory

GPUs Nvidia Dual GTX 970s SLI setup

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

June 29th, 2015 21:00

What is up Boo, I know you from AlienOwners right? Win10, good idea if it works. As u probably saw, I made a post today recommending trying the win10 preview version now (good idea) in order to find out how the CmndCntr behaves & which version of CC works best (3.5 or 3.6) in your alien, if your initial try goes bonkers & calls for a different version. From there I said to put win10 preview on its own hard disk, give it a test-drive, find out how your pc performs today which may be an indication of what the real deal behaves like later on. Whether that preview is good or bad, you'd report back to the forum your experience - & since you saved your current install - simply fall back on it to restore proper operation if & when needed. If another R4 owner's tried out the preview, I haven't seen the post yet, here is mine:

My Area-51 is doing fine on it so far also but I can't know if that will remain true with the real deal, or if some future update will wreak havoc or not. It does feel faster being on 10 than on 7, I'll give it that. If a person were to lose their AlienFx & ALX goodies due to a new operating system for compatibility issues, I would fall back on 7 / 8, I'm not so sure anything good comes from owning a crippled Alien. Let's knock on wood & hope everyone survives this. However, it is my understanding that the Area-51 & Aurora case lights should still light up to their factory default color, & if fan operation / control is an issue, implement a manual fan controller if need be.

24 Posts

July 10th, 2015 10:00

I reserved Win 10 and cant wait to update, but im glad i came here because i don't want headaches after a format, but i know that's never true. I will make an image backup of my win 8.1 64bit pro system in case i have to revert back, but it would be nice to see if anyone has had any issues with the command center. I have the Alienware Aurora R4 (Late 2011) model, hoping to buy in September the X51 model still saving money for it. I know by then that model should come with win 10 installed on it, hopefully. Anyway i will follow this thread and also update it when i do my clean reformat and praying of course.

No Events found!