Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2014 14:00

Windows 7 Clean Install - what do I loose?

Hi everybody,

I just received (one week ago) a brand new Alienware 17 with Win 8.1 preinstalled but for a number of reasons I decided I'd rather make a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium instead.

However, as I made a first attempt and started fiddling with things such as UEFI and secure boot for the Win 7 setup to even begin, I kind of wondered how much of the currently loaded drivers and software is actually necessary for the laptop to run properly. Also, I wondered if I was going to void any part of the warranty if I installed a new OS and removed the existing recovery/dell partitions. 

So, my questions boil down to two:

1) What would be the difference between the system as it is now (pre-installed 8.1 + dell provided drivers/apps) and the system after a clean install I'd do with the Win 7 installation disk + the Alienware 17 Resources DVD? Would I loose something?

2) Is any part of the warranty voided if I do a clean install of a new OS, removing pre-loaded hidden/recovery partitions? Would customer service never ever talk to me again because of if?

It should be noticed that the laptop has no data or applications that need backing up yet, so one less issue to worry about. 

Kind regards,

Manu

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2014 10:00

Hi Manu,

The Alienware 17 supports Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Therefore, all drivers and Alienware applications are available for these Operating Systems.

Check out this video for step-by-step Windows installation instructions and follow this article to make sure you install the drivers in the correct order. 

NOTE: Installing a different OS does not void the warranty.

Hope this helps!

1.8K Posts

September 12th, 2014 16:00

The drivers are loaded after the Windows installation. You can use the ones on the Resource DVD as well, but the ones on the Support website are more up-to-date.

9 Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

Thank you Naomi for the (double) reply!

I've looked at the video and had a quick look at the list of drivers and the video on how to install them. 

Do I understand correctly that the Alienware 17 disk (not the OS recovery disk) does -not- have the necessary drivers on it and they -must- be downloaded from the internet? I'm asking because I have read elsewhere that the SATA drivers will be needed prior to the installation of Win 7. So, I'm wondering if I need to burn a number of drivers to a disk first and only then perform the Win 7 installation. Can you confirm?

Thanks again for the reply!

Kind regards,

Manu

9 Posts

September 13th, 2014 15:00

Thank you again Naomi for your reply. 

I just wanted to mention a few things for posterity. 

1) The video you posted about installing Windows 7 does not mention issues such as UEFI/secure boot. I managed to find my way around those issues not knowing much about them but it'd be nice if a new video was made with those aspects in mind.

2) The windows 7 installation from scratch went smoothly but left the computer with no network adapter. As such, short of using another computer to burn a disk with all latest drivers, the resource DVD seemingly is the easiest way to get the drivers in after installation despite them being not quite the most up to date.

3)  The "index" software coming with the Resource DVD does not list any file at all if Windows 7 64 Bit (the currently installed OS) is selected among the search criteria. Only by selecting Operating System "All" or "Windows 8.1 64-bit" a list of files, including drivers, becomes available. Hovering over each link provides a tooltip confirming that those are Windows 8.1 drivers. However having faith in your initial reply, I have installed the first few drivers in the list (chipset, management engine interface) and the requested reboots went fine. So, I hope the rest of the drivers will install correctly and that the index software could just use some debugging. The whole procedure is a bit cumbersome (extract, install drivers, reboot, restart index software, reset criterias, select new driver from alphabetically ordered list, loop over) but I should be able to survive through it.

I hope this will help somebody else in my same situation.

Kind regards,

Manu

9 Posts

September 13th, 2014 16:00

The forum seems to have swallowed a previous post for moderation reasons: the driver for the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework could not be installed because of unspecified minimum requirements. I imagine this could be due to the OS being Win 7 instead of Win 8.x.

9 Posts

The Broadcom BCM4352 + BT driver fails to install because the OS is not compatible with it. This seems to be a Bluetooth driver and I'm not too concerned about it. Furthermore, the bluetooth device seems to be the only network device the Win 7 installation had already recognized and installed a driver for. However, the DVD doesn't seem to provide the Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202 driver mentioned in the Alienware 17 driver list. A SiBeam Wireless HD (Gen 3) driver is provided but turns out to be some kind of wireless HD video streaming application that works on top of an established wireless connection. I am therefore forced to connect the laptop via ethernet cable. Internet access has been established right away and it should be smoother sailing from now on by downloading the Win 7 specific drivers.

9 Posts

The Qualcomm LAN Network Killer E2201 driver triggers an error as something requires .NET 4.0.3x. The installation procedure seems to stall for a while but then continues and eventually declares it has been successful. Troubleshooting the network connection after a reboot seems to confirm the successful installation by requesting to plug in an Ethernet cable instead of failing to find an adapter.

9 Posts

First casualty of the driver installation process: the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver says its minimum requirements are not met. I imagine it refers to the OS -not- being Windows 8.1.  The next listed driver's (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) installation seemingly went fine.

9 Posts

Another issue: there seems to be no "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" driver on the CD. However, this might be consistent with the fact that the list published here hints that there is no Windows 8 version for it.

9 Posts

September 13th, 2014 18:00

I have eventually installed the Intel Centrino Wireless drivers and those work. While no other WiFi device seems to be available, a couple of devices in the Device Manager remain unknown and I wonder if one of them is the Qualcom/Broadcom network adapter it is advised to install the drivers for. Might check more in-depth tomorrow to see if the drivers provided through the support page are different than those listed by auto-detecting the system/service tag number.

Sorry for the many posts. I didn't realise I could edit (but not delete) already existing posts. I hope my account of the experience will eventually be helpful to others.

285 Posts

September 14th, 2014 00:00

Go to the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.

1. Enter your Service Tag or select your computer from a list of Dell products.
  2. Click the Arrow next to the driver category to expand the list of available drivers and applications.
  3. Next to the version you wish to install, click Add to My Download List.
  4. Download and install the drivers in the following order:

Driver or application name Category What it does
1. Dell System Software System Utilities Provides critical updates and patches for the operating system.
2. Chipset driver Chipset Helps Windows control system board components and controllers, such as USB ports and other internal components.
3. PCMCIA and/or Smartcard drivers Security Enables PCMCIA and Smartcard slot capability.
4. Intel Matrix Storage Manager Serial ATA The Intel storage driver is only applicable to Intel chipset computers.
5. Audio driver Audio Enables and enhances the audio controller.
6. Video driver Video Enhances video performance.
7. Network interface card or Ethernet drivers Network Enhances the network controller for internet or network access.

8. ControlPoint System Manager, ControlPoint Security Manager, and ControlPoint Connection Manager

Note: This driver is only needed for some Latitude laptops, and depending on your system configuration, you might not need to install all three parts
Control Point The Dell ControlPoint (DCP) controls power management for some Dell Latitude laptops. ControlPoint System Manager controls power management and ambient light sensor settings, ControlPoint Security Manager controls security features, and ControlPoint Connection Manager controls wireless connection profiles.
9. Dell Quickset Application Controls power management and ambient light sensors.
10. Wireless network drivers Network Enables and enhances the wireless network controller.

11. Bluetooth drivers

Note: If this driver is not available, then your computer doesn't have Bluetooth capability. Continue to the next driver on the list.
Network Enables and controls Bluetooth connectivity.
12. Mouse, keyboard, touchpad and input device drivers Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices Enhances pointing device features.
13. Intel vPro or AMT (if available) Chipset Enhances system manageability.
14. Dell wireless mobile broadband card drivers (if available) Network Enables wireless broadband connectivity.
15. Modem drivers (if available) Modem/Communications Allows dial-up capability.
16. Dell Digitech touch screen driver (if available) Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices Enables touch screen input on select Dell laptops.

86 Posts

September 14th, 2014 11:00

Please provide the hardware IDs for the unknown devices and also video controllers and network controllers which have variants.

See my instructions here:

My Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows may help you out a good bit:

No Events found!