Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2015 20:00

Windows 7/Internet connecting problems please help

Hello, 

I recently acquired a new computer and wanted to give my brother my old laptop, my Alienware M14X. It runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and to wipe the files and give him it brand new, I put in the disc that came with the computer and booted it from there. Although the disc is Alienware, it didn't install the Alienware command center. I tried to connect to the internet to install it but the computer will not recognize any wireless signal, and when I plugged in an ethernet cable it didn't work either. Please let me know if you have any solutions to this problem, I am hopeless to find an answer and support won't help me because my warranty is up

-Chad

412 Posts

March 9th, 2015 23:00

Hey Chad,

I hate to hear that but I'm pretty sure I know what's going on here.  It sounds like you used just the Windows 7 disc that came with the system & didn't use the Drivers & Utilities disc that came with it as well.  That second disc (usually gray or black with white writing) will have the ethernet and WiFi drivers on it for you to install.

Not to worry though if you don't have that disc. Visit http://support.dell.com & enter your Service Tag (usually found on the bottom of your laptop).  Here all the latest drivers for your system will be displayed of you to download. That should get you fixed up no problem.

Hope this helps!
~Jim

3 Posts

March 10th, 2015 13:00

This does help, I only used one disc that came with it but it seems I never got a gray disc, just the black disc for the operating system. Which file on support.dell.come should I put on the computer?

412 Posts

March 10th, 2015 14:00

Specifically for what you're talking about the WiFi & Network drivers. You'll probably best going ahead & getting the chipset, audio, video and Dell software they have listed as well.

This page will show you the best order to reinstall your drivers.
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148687/EN

3 Posts

March 10th, 2015 14:00

Nevermind, fixed, thanks a million.

No Events found!