Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2012 06:00

Windows 8 on Aurora R4 ... anyone ???

Hi,

Just downloaded my Windows 8 Pro upgrade and was wondering if anyone has installed this on an Aurora R4 yet.

Being a Windows user since version 2.0, this new interface just doesn't seem worthy to be installed on my Aurora.

I know I'm kind of a Windows dinosaur. Just looking for any comments on the new OS on peoples Alienwares.

Appreciate all comments.

111 Posts

October 26th, 2012 07:00

How's the performances compare to W7?

October 26th, 2012 08:00

I believe that the best way to say that would be just to install it on a separate hard drive and testing it yourself. It's a matter of perspective. :P

111 Posts

October 26th, 2012 10:00

performance can be measured, so it's not just a matter of perspective.

October 26th, 2012 11:00

Yes you can but for some users good performance is not about benchmarks but about the feel of the PC with the O.S. I would say that the only was that you will know if you will feel satisfied or not would be trying to install it on your PC. If you want to get numbers then you can run benchmarks on both of them and compare the results:

www.zdnet.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-benchmarked-7000002671

71 Posts

October 29th, 2012 06:00

Hi there,

I have upgraded my windows 7 to windows 8 pro. no issue at all. So far im very pleased with the fast response, boot time is ~5 SEC. Shutdown in seconds..

and like the goodies to using windows 8 metro.

i can run my games as normal launched from metro or desktop. Using Steam and Origin with no issue at all.

Installation taken ~ 30 minutes (upgrade)

166 Posts

October 29th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for the info. Did you allow Windows 8 to overwrite your existing operating system?

I am going to add a second ssd and hope to place it there.

While installing, did it ask where you want the insatllation to go?

71 Posts

October 29th, 2012 07:00

Prior of the installation i did cloning on my HDD to other HDD. I choose upgrade so I dont have to re-install all my application,games,etc. So, Yes I allow the Win 8 to replace as i choose upgrade method and not fresh install.

Not sure if fresh install, maybe the Win 8 will ask u which HDD or partition to install.

BTW, my aurora did not have raid install as i had configured as ACHI. I saw in dell notice somewhere saying need to update the raid controller drivers before installing win 8. Please check.

168 Posts

October 29th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

I bought windows 8 as a download and during installation it checked the system (aurora-R4) and everything was go, but

unfortunately after downloading at 100% it rebooted and stayed there on a black screen with a circle going around for 2

hours with no luck but luckily after shutting down I could go back to win 7.

I tried it 7 times removing some programs without luck, this was on a transfer all installation, at first you have 3 choices

all, personal files , clean.

Finally I tried it with files only and it worked.

Everything is fine ,I finally re-installed all my programs but I find it personally very hard to learn compared to all other

windows I installed in my 20 years of windows , I cannot find anything like all programs, I am still looking, or windows

explorer, I think it will take me many weeks to really enjoy it but I like the fast boot up though, I will rarely put it in sleep

mode now. good luck on installation

445 Posts

November 6th, 2012 19:00

I played around with the Windows 8 pre-release my neighibor had and didn't like it at all. I started with windows 3.1 and had every version since then and Windows 8 is just too different. I could see it on a touch screen, but not a desktop. I ordered my R4 just in time before Dell started putting Windows 8 on them.

166 Posts

November 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

I also have been using Windows since 3.1 and couldn't agree more. Win 8 I think is going to hurt Microsofts bottom line.

If I wanted a tablet OS, I'd have bought a tablet. I sent a message to Chris M saying ` I hope Dell put away a few million Win 7 licences for people who definitely will not go for Win 8'.

For true computer enthusiasts, I don't know what Microsoft was thinking.

445 Posts

November 7th, 2012 09:00

I think you are right, Windows 8 was not a good move for MIcrosoft. Two days ago, my Grand Daughter bought a laptop at BestBuy with Windows 8 on it. She called me this AM and said she hates it as did the other two girls in her dorm room. She asked if there was a way to put Windows 7 on it. My suggestion was to take it back to BestBuy and ask them. That is not a good sign when three 19 year old girls don't like it and want to dump it after 2 days. I think Windows 7 OS programs are going to be a big seller in the near future.

168 Posts

November 7th, 2012 12:00

Hi again.

Follow up from my first  response, I am starting to get used to it , no start button , but I am getting used to that also

like daddyz my start up is very fast but shutting down is very slow sometimes.

One thing I have a hard time with is the 2 internet explorers 9+10 I still don't understand why they did that but after a week I can't understand the 10 . I have problems with my live mail also , it sticks on receiving mail and I have to reboot never

happened to me since windows 3,1.

I found in it some great free games though similar to the famous bros , at 71 I still enjoy but I miss windows 7 Freecell, there is one but different than the original.

I still have a lot to understand in windows 8 and Microsoft should worry , it could be a major flop.

Claude

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 7th, 2012 12:00

I think you are right, Windows 8 was not a good move for MIcrosoft. Two days ago, my Grand Daughter bought a laptop at BestBuy with Windows 8 on it. She called me this AM and said she hates it as did the other two girls in her dorm room. She asked if there was a way to put Windows 7 on it. My suggestion was to take it back to BestBuy and ask them. That is not a good sign when three 19 year old girls don't like it and want to dump it after 2 days. I think Windows 7 OS programs are going to be a big seller in the near future.

I'm guessing it's the missing Start-Button that's throwing them off ...

Check out either ...

Start-8 ($5 ... and free to try)

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Classic-Shell ($0)

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

207 Posts

May 30th, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                        

No Events found!