Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DG

March 11th, 2012 09:00

X51 - Backup/Update Questions

Our X51 is due to arrive tomorrow. It's actually the Missus' new computer. I'm her so called IT guy, I'm also a dye-in-the-wool Mac user, and I've got a couple of questions.

Her current computer an HP didn't include any media for Windows XP, etc. (only a restore partition) and we had to do a backup to DVD. I see that the X51 includes the following discs, so I'm assuming that we don't have to back it up, and that if the need arises we can use the following discs as needed?

1 - 331-5149 - DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,Andromeda

1 - 421-7589 - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, w/Media

Also, I've read some comments about downloading graphics drivers from Dell, but I've also read comments referring to downloading drivers from the GPU manufacturer. I've always downloaded drivers for her computers from the manufacturer, is downloading from Dell preferred?

Lastly neither of us have experience with Windows 7 so, I was wondering if it still has Software Update and do we use that for updates or is there something else provided by Dell?

Thanks in advance.

25 Posts

March 11th, 2012 10:00

I have replaced the HDD in the x51.  

To install Windows 7, hook it up to a computer monitor via HDMI.  Put in Windows 7 disc that comes with computer into drive and install.  Then use the drivers that are on the disc, or download from Dell's site.  Window's 7 does have Windows update, so you will want to keep your computer up to date.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2012 11:00

But doesnt it come already installed so you need to install the disks cuz i havent???

20 Posts

srry i ment do i do i need to install disks out of the box???

I would think that you only need the discs for a reinstall.

FYI: You can edit your posts on here by clicking on the little green pencil at the bottom of the message next to Report Abuse.

2 Posts

srry i ment do i do i need to install disks out of the box???

25 Posts

March 11th, 2012 12:00

I was talking about how you stated that you didn't need to backup if you had the disks.  I was confirming your theory.

131 Posts

March 12th, 2012 10:00

Yup, you can reinstall from the two disks that come with it, as I had to to change the default language from Dutch to English. The only things missing from the disks, at least I couldn't find them were the Alienware logos/icons and the Command Centre. A quick visit to the Dell support site and after punching in your service tag will show you all the Dell provided drivers for your particular box.

If you're up to it I would also recommend getting some of the drivers from the manufacturer of the device, for example Intel for the system chipsets and integrated graphics (although the latter is updated just as frequently through Windows Update), nVidia for the discrete graphics and Realtek for the HD audio if you're not using HDMI.

No Events found!