Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2012 21:00

X51 GPU overheating

Hey guys just got my new X51 yesterday and well hmmm it doesnt stay on too long. I've logged the complaint and am waiting on a technician to call to arrange a booking. I downloaded a software program to read various temperature readings throughout the comp. I noticed my GPU started around 66 degrees C on startup and starting rising toward 104 degrees C and then boom it turns off again. This happens with just normal computer use. I ran Avatar on the BlueRay player full screen and it lastest for about 5 minutes and went to 104 degrees C and off again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I can hear the fans going.. maybe its the GPU headsink? Any ideas? Very disappointed so far, this is my 5th computer from dell and the most exciting one I have bought and boom doesnt work....

Also the BluRay player just shoots out the discs rather than just nudging then out like my 4 year old XPS 15" laptop with slot loader.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 9th, 2012 23:00

While waiting, you might want to open it and see if all the fans are running.

February 10th, 2012 01:00

I wouldn't mind doing that just wanted confirmation it wouldnt void my warranty? Ill have a look now but the progra im using to test the heat from the GPU says all fans are running, Ill give it a go anyways.

245 Posts

February 10th, 2012 20:00

John,

No worries.. Opening the X51 won't void your warranty.  Alienware let's people poke around inside and upgrade their systems.  :-)  

If there's a fan issue it can easily be replaced by support and it will give them more info to help diagnose and get you back to 100% as quickly as possible.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2012 16:00

Wow I got an x51 the other day and I have the EXACT problem, the screen goes blank after a while while not even running anything, but when running games it heats up even faster and then shuts off at 104 which only takes a minute or two. I also noticed the framerate is terrible when I ran a benchmark test I was getting like 15-25 fps at absolute most 30ish. What happened for you after the tech came? Was it just a matter of replacing the video card? I've got someone coming in a couple days to replace my graphics card I hope it fixes the problem :/

2.4K Posts

April 25th, 2012 18:00

Wow I got an x51 the other day and I have the EXACT problem, the screen goes blank after a while while not even running anything, but when running games it heats up even faster and then shuts off at 104 which only takes a minute or two. I also noticed the framerate is terrible when I ran a benchmark test I was getting like 15-25 fps at absolute most 30ish. What happened for you after the tech came? Was it just a matter of replacing the video card? I've got someone coming in a couple days to replace my graphics card I hope it fixes the problem :/

You need to call Dell and tell them you are reaching 104c...that is 104c, right? That could damage something. I wouldn't run it until I talked to someone at Dell about it. I would also open the case and make sure there is nothing blocking the fan if you know how to do it. Some systems had a wire blocking it.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2012 18:00

Yea I did talk to dell asap that's why they're sending someone to replacing the graphics card. Even when just starting a benchmark though before the card got too hot it was only getting about 20fps though... We will see if a new card is the problem cause the fan doesnt sound like it is running at all (haven't opened it up) the thing is quiet when gaming (cpu fan works though cpus stay cool) . So its either the fan cooling the gpu was just dead in the first place or maybe its a further problem. if anything isnt right after I get my new graphics card I'm returning the whole unit

4 Posts

April 25th, 2012 19:00

Alright thanks guys, I may take a peak in there ... havent heard from my service technician yet so I wanna know whatsup as soon as possible since I have about 15 days left until I need to decide if its going back or if I'm keeping it

245 Posts

April 25th, 2012 19:00

If you do open it make sure the power cable for the video card is in a metal clip that is designed to keep that cord from getting into the fan for the video card.  If not then it blocks the video card fan from turning and could result in overheat.

133 Posts

April 25th, 2012 23:00

Hey mate, the problem with the cd falling or spitting out happened to me. I had a technician come and replace the front bezel (plastic cover around the power button/cd slot. Problem is fixed :) With the overheating make sure no cables are near the gpu fan, this happen to me too. Once i tucked them away i have had no issues. The fact that we have to do this is a reflection of the poor build quality from dell, very dissapointing.

April 29th, 2012 07:00

Placing the x51 on it's side also stops discs from flying out.

4 Posts

April 29th, 2012 14:00

Well guys the technician from dell came and even though he had no clue what he was doing and I had to show him how to change out the graphics card the problem is resolved i guess the fan on the old card was junk from the beggining because the new one works fine. The x51 really is a great pc once its working right :)

No Events found!