Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2013 06:00

X51: HD audio driver for Intel chipset

I've just purchased an X51, and all is working well (in spite of Windows 8) ... except for a small incompatibility with configuring the nVidea 640 for dual displays (DVI + HDMI).  Windows 8 will not boot properly if my HD TV (via HDMI) is turned off, therefore I leave it on, and I use a black Windows desktop so that it will enter into standby, and all is good.

There is however another HDMI port that is integrated with the motherboard, and I am curious about using it for avoiding the above issue.  Presumably, the HDMI drivers associated with this HDMI would be obtained through Intel relative to the chipset used.  Specifically, I need HD audio bitstreamed via HDMI, so I would need the "HD Audio" driver because it is not apparently loaded (... i.e., not seen in Windows list of audio output possibilities).

(1)  First, let me confirm the Intel chipset as the "Intel® H61 Express Chipset"(?)

(2)  I cannot find drivers for this chipset at Intel's website--has anyone found the HD audio driver for it?

TIA & cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula 

131 Posts

May 27th, 2013 09:00

In your BIOS, is the default video set to "Discrete" rather than "Integrated"? If you want to use the onboard HDMI, that's the best way to have it set - just watch though that Dell updates to the BIOS will always set this back.

May 31st, 2013 07:00

In your BIOS, is the default video set to "Discrete" rather than "Integrated"? If you want to use the onboard HDMI, that's the best way to have it set - just watch though that Dell updates to the BIOS will always set this back.

This is true, if not the integrated video card won't work fine.

No Events found!