Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2013 03:00

X51 R1 Freezes when playing dota2

computer is only a bout 10months old, only recently over the last 2-3 months ive been having problems playing my game dota 2... 

it usually freezes about 3-5 minutes into the game causing me to hold down the shutdown button for 6 seconds and restart , then once i have restarted it usually works fine but its still annoying ... 

any ideas what is causing this to happen? really frustrating !

24 Posts

October 30th, 2013 05:00

its not a laptop its a desktop.. and what does updating the BIOS have to do with my computer freezing ? ( that link u sent me doesnt send me to update it either ) 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi byron1234,

It can be frustrating when the system freezes randomly while playing a game. I suggest you to clean the rear panel air vents and the CPU Fan. You should also clean the cooling fan on the discrete graphics card, if the system is configured with one.

Please update the BIOS to the latest version. The file can be download from the following link and by punching in the system Service Tag: http://dell.to/1589REp

Click on Submit and then on "Drivers & Downloads" tile to download the BIOS file after selecting the Windows version. Please run the hardware diagnostics by following the steps provided below, if the BIOS update fails to fix the issue:

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F12 key.
2. Select Diagnostics from the list and press Enter.

Let me know the test results and your findings.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi byron1234,

Thank you for the update and I am aware that Alienware X51 is a Desktop computer. The air vents on the rear panel may get blocked due to dust, that can block the air and cause overheating. You can download the latest BIOS directly from the following link: http://dell.to/18C0z3Q

Please run the dieagnostics and let me know the results.

24 Posts

October 31st, 2013 04:00

Do i need to open the case to clean it ?   I ran the diagnostics test and said all tests passed . 

• 

2.7K Posts

November 1st, 2013 10:00

Hello byron1234!

Yes you will need to open the case to clean up the system, computers might freeze because of overheating so I recommend you take a look on this article, it could help you.

353 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 20:00

The case is easy to open i own on its the one screw on the back of the unit be careful when opening it the case door slides forward, there is wire attached to the light so don't pull it up slide forward lift the case to the side,make sure you block the fans from spinning so  when you use the canned air you don't spin the fan blades as you don't want to let them spin when cleaning them. also there is a fan under the dvd drive the screw to remove that is there it slides out and pull up and blow that fan out. and there is a fan to blow out  under the video card in front of the system  do the same there block the blades and blow out. put your finger on the video card fan and blow it out. the video card is easy to remove, it simple unscrews  and pulls up.  you're done after this make sure your not on carpet when you do all this if you are make sure you ground yourself by touching the metal in the case before you remove anything, or go buy a ground wrist strap. 

No Events found!