Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2016 18:00

X51-R2, Discrete Graphics, Black Screen

No issues whatsoever with the Integrated Graphics. All objects in Device Manager are clean EVEN THE Discrete AMD Graphics card object. Have updated to all latest drivers from Dell Support site.

Shut down Windows. (fresh Windows 10 install with no software installed yet)

Unplug HDMI Cable. Attach 2 DVI cables. Changed BIOS from AUTO to Discrete.

I see the initial POST screen, but then I get nothing but black screens. Interestingly, the keyboard doesn't even work at the black screens. No mouse pointer.

Is this a sign the AMD Graphics Card has been fried?

Any advice would be appreciated.

September 16th, 2016 10:00

Did all these things and got the same result.

I managed to borrow an older, but similar, AMD card to test and everything worked just fine. I'm pretty sure this means the original card has failed. Got 3 years of daily use out of it so I suppose that's not too bad. Ordered a new nVidia card on the X51 R2 approved list. Thanks for your assistance.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 15th, 2016 06:00

You lost me, why would you attach two DVI cables to the video card? Anyway, what specific AMD Radeon video card? What out ports are on the AMD Radeon video card? What specific monitor model? What in ports are on the monitor?

September 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi Chris. Thanks for the response. I have two monitors. One has DVI and VGA and the other has HDMI, DVI and VGA. I get the same black screen for either hooked up by itself, swapping cables, or together. As mentioned, the one with HDMI works fine when plugged into the Integrated HDMI output of the X51. There is no screen or cable issue here for 100% sure. The AMD Radeon R9 270 has 2 DVI outputs and 1 DisplayPort output.

I don't mind buying a new video card. I just don't want to waste $200 and have exactly the same issue.

Thanks again.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 15th, 2016 16:00

Using the onboard HDMI to one monitor, boot into the Bios by restarting and tapping F2. Go to Advanced Integrated Devices. Primary Display should be set to Discrete, not Auto or IGFX. Exit the bios saving the change. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the onboard HDMI port. Connect both monitors via DVI to the discrete AMD R9 270. Does anything appear? If nothing, power off, disconnect the DVI cables from the video card. Open the case, remove and reseat the AMD R9 270 in the motherboard slot. Close up, reconnect and retest.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 16th, 2016 19:00

Good troubleshooting.

No Events found!