Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2014 11:00

X51-R2, Loud Fan Noise

Hi, I've bought very recently the Alienware X51 R2.

I've noticed that sometime, when I'm playing (i'm just playing games like Diablo 3 or style like that), after a moment or when there is kind of a lots of details on screen, the fan start to be really loud...

Is this normal or should I start to worry about it ?

1.8K Posts

April 21st, 2014 11:00

Hi, I've bought very recently the Alienware X51 R2.

I've noticed that sometime, when I'm playing (i'm just playing games like Diablo 3 or style like that), after a moment or when there is kind of a lots of details on screen, the fan start to be really loud...

Is this normal or should I start to worry about it ?

Hi!

When you run certain applications like games it stresses the Video Card so it's normal for the temperature to rise and cause the fans to start running faster. If there are no other symptoms like FPS drop or BSOD there's probably no overheating issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Download HWmonitor and keep an eye on the GPU temperatures and fan speed. 

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 11:00

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

What is BSOD ?

I downloaded that program, HWmonitor and took some captures.

Could you tell me wich valors in terms of temperature and fans activity should I start to worry if I reach them ?

Thanks for your help.

1.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 23:00

BSOD stands for Blue Screen of Death. 

Normally, the fans start running faster as soon as the temperatures start rising, to avoid the system getting too hot (overheating). If the temperatures keep rising and reach 90C - 100C it could mean there's a problem with the Cooling System. 

No Events found!