Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2017 20:00

X51 hard disk not found

Installed a new hard drive. Get the error saying it isn't found and no bootable devices but in the BIOS the hard drive is listed and when I run the test it waits for a bit but it recognizes the new drive. What do I do?

July 7th, 2017 00:00

what SSD Model do you have again? Samsung OEM SSD? if yes then you should try to install Windows in RAID Mode.

also when installing Windows 10 make sure the Setup creates atleast 3 Partitions. one of them is called EFI-System Partition. if this Partition is not there, then you can not Boot later. so try again. delete all Partitions during Setup and then click "New". after confirming the Partition Size the Setup Manager will inform you about the required Partitions. just click OK.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 30th, 2017 10:00

Hi uberlaw‌,

Have you already installed Windows on the hard drive?

When a HDD has no operating system and does not have from where to boot Windows, it gives that error. So try booting it up with a Windows Disc, then try installing from there to see if the drive is recognized.

21 Posts

June 30th, 2017 11:00

Okay I will try that thanks. Just stay with me in case it doesn't.

21 Posts

July 4th, 2017 09:00

I upgraded to windows 10 whenever it came out.... unfortunate for me it ruined my system but right now I use an hdd and the external drive is fine. I was able to backup my files. But the BIOS won't load up anymore. So I mean the new hdd is not in operation yet since I can't even create a recovery drive and i can't download the copy off the website anymore since every time I try an error message occurs. 

103 Posts

Are you saying that you cannot go to BIOS?

Are you saying that your motherboard is bricked?

What happens when you turn on your system?

21 Posts

Alienware-Eimy I need you're help lol.

103 Posts

I can say your board may be bricked. But I have never reset a system board before.

Perhaps resetting your board may help, but again I do not wish to take risks.

Also, it turns out that you are not alone. My previous system was destroyed by Windows 10 CU update...

21 Posts

Yes. I CANNOT go into BIOS but after 25 minutes I can log into my pc and it skips the BIOS setup. I'm not sure if it's bricked but it might be. Think I should reset the CMOS?

103 Posts

Maybe you can download a new copy of Windows from Microsoft's website. If you happen to use Windows 8.x, the product key is injected into your mobo. Download Windows 10 

Plus, what kind of hard drive do you use? SSD? I have seen a similar case (albeit different drive). Someone tried to install Windows to a PCIe SSD, but Windows installer didn't see it. He ended up downloading a driver, put in a flash drive and used "Load Driver" option during Windows installation.

To recover your files from your old driver. If you do not use RAID or something, just get an external enclosure or connect it to another computer and copy your data.

21 Posts

When I turn it on black screen. Monitor is fine. Everything runs but just black screen and after some minutes the log in screen pops up. 

21 Posts

Hello again. I could not find the disk my x51 is out of warranty. Unfortunately I have now encountered far more problems. I cannot create a recovery drive anymore. Also once I turn on my pc with the old drive since it's the only way to create a recovery drive, it goes to a black screen and takes about 30 minutes to just go into my user screen. And idk how I do it I just click every button in the keyboard. The Alienware screen doesn't show up when booting. So I cannot run BIOS. Pls help. 

103 Posts

One interesting is that you can boot into your system but you cannot go to BIOS. I don't know if flashing your board can fix this.

21 Posts

Just reset the CMOS. I CAN NOW ACCESS BIOS. So now I will go in and once again try to create a recovery drive. Which probably will not work but I hope I get somewhere this time. I will try to create recovery then turn system off, re-insert new hdd and see what happens

21 Posts

Yeah the update really screwed with my system. 

103 Posts

July 4th, 2017 10:00

Ehh, samsung SSDs are way overpriced. I'd rather have a Crucial SSD.

No Events found!