Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2012 10:00

alienware 14x problem, help me please

I bought an Alienware 14x 2 months ago(i think its R1). When the laptop is charging, connected to a power source, Im able to run most games on high graphics settings with no problems, however when the laptop is using its battery, games start lagging horribly. I already changed the settings I needed to change in the control panel and in the alienware control panel. Any ideas of what might be going on? Because what's the point of buying an expensive gaming laptop if you will always need to have it plugged in?

Thanks in advance

2.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 13:00

Sounds like it is turning off the dedicated GPU when on battery to save battery life. Try going into the Nvidia control panel and setting " high performance nvidia processor ". That will make the GPU run all the time. Of course this is just a guess since you didn't tell me what GPU you have but it's a good guess

Also check your power settings for when it's on battery. Processor power management and PCI express are the ones you want. You can set them on max performance but keep in mind that all of this will kill your battery.

August 3rd, 2012 04:00

I already did everything you said and still have the same problem:

Intel Core i7

6gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce Gt 555m 3gb

2.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 04:00

I already did everything you said and still have the same problem:

Intel Core i7

6gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce Gt 555m 3gb

I know you tried everything but could you try it all again. Going to battery and having it slow down means it's something with the power settings or Optimus. Not much else it could be. Did you try updating the Nvidia drivers yet or falling back to an older one?

Can you read this and make sure everything is set like it should be? http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=125975&~lt=print

And for the time being just set the main power option to High Performance until you figure out whats wrong. Do it in both the ACC software and in your control panel.

158 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi, The M14x is designed to work with NVidia Optimus Technology, which allows the user to switch from Integrated to discrete video card when required. nVidia Optimus technology is designed to maximize performance while minimizing the impact on battery life. Morblore's advice has been very accurate, you can also try to white list the games you want to run with the discrete VC.

Correct set-up of games on NVIDIA Optimus Driver

No Events found!