Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

July 22nd, 2017 17:00

alienware 17 R4 - hinge tension adjustments

I've got a new alienware 17 R4, I don't like the amount of tension for opening and closing the lid.  Previously I had a XPS 17 and I could adjust the hinge by tightening a nut on the end of the hinge by the spring tension thingus.  When looking at pics of the alienware, it seems to be enclosed.  I don't want to take apart the new one just to see in case it's not possible, no need to test my skills.  anyone taken theirs apart and know if it's possible.

Reason:  on my xps 17, I had to replace the lid twice because the tension caused the connections to weaken then break loose from the lid.  Once I reduced the tension to where it held but had little resistance, no more problems.  AND it was much more pleasant to open and close.  Right now I want to leave the new one open all the time just in case - rather not have that approach to a new laptop.

alienware hinge link for reference - www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=23841

xps hinge that can for sure be adjusted as described link for reference - www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=9357

No Events found!